Marlin 1894 ejector problems

Anything to do with gun smithing.
prairie_buck
Beginner

Marlin 1894 ejector problems

Post by prairie_buck »

I have 3 Marlin '94, two modern, one vintage. All 3 are giving me ejection problems.

The 1898 Vintage Marlin 1894 in .44-40 had an anemic ejector that would not even pop the cases out of the port. The original ejector had a poor spring that had lost it's tension. I ordered, received and fitted a new ejector hoping to solve the problem. I still have the same problem. The ejection is so weak that I would not depend on this rifle in competition.

The modern Marlin 1894's are in .357 and .44. Both throw the brass at least 6 feet. The 1894CB throws the brass half way to the pistol targets on a CAS stage, 2 to 4 yards to the 1 o'clock position base on the barrel being the 12 oclock. The 1894CS throws the brass 1 to 3 yards to the 2 oclock position. I do remember seeing somewhere that there was a simple fix for this problem. I have not been able to find it again.

I am hoping that someone out there can advice me on either of these problems.

Prairie Buck
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 1894 ejector problems

Post by marlinman93 »

Not sure about an easy fix, as what you've done should have been the easy fix. The ejectors are supposed to eject the cases if the extractor is doing it's job and holding the case against the bolt face. If the ejector is too short, not enough spring tension, or the extractor is allowing the case to be loose from the bolt face as it's drwan backwards, then it wont eject properly.
Chek the spring for tension and adjust it a little carefully first. Also check that the ejector is longer than th eface of the breechbolt by enough to kick the empty out. Make sure that as you open the lever the case is not loose on the extractor.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!