Marlin Barrel Information Please

Anything to do with gun smithing.
Def Willie
Beginner

Marlin Barrel Information Please

Post by Def Willie »

I have a Marlin 38-55 octagon barrel which is stamped “For Black Powder”. The threaded area from shoulder to end of barrel is 1.313” long. Does anyone know what model Marlin this barrel fits? The same area on the octagon 30-30 barrel on my 1893 is only 0.764” long. I had hoped to switch to the 38-55 barrel which is in great shape. It screws into the 93 just fine except for being way too long. The action seems to work fine and will cycle the 38-55 dummy loads just fine. I may make a spacer if I decide to use this barrel. Anyone had any luck doing that?

Thanks
Def Willie
cj57
Marksman 1st Class

Re: Marlin Barrel Information Please

Post by cj57 »

Your 38-55 barrel is for a take-down 1893

Clark
Def Willie
Beginner

Post by Def Willie »

Thanks for the speedy reply. I was wondering if that was the case. Do you know where i may be able to find a good replacement 38-55 barrel that will fit and old 1893 non takedown model?

Thanks
Def
cj57
Marksman 1st Class

Post by cj57 »

Here's one on Gunbroker auction ## 149851800 , 26" oct, the finish looks good but he says it has pitting in bore, it may still shoot. Do you have to have an oct barrel?

Clark
Def Willie
Beginner

Post by Def Willie »

The barrel I have is octagon 24.5" and stamped =For Black Powder Only=. The bore has no pitting and is very brite.
cj57
Marksman 1st Class

Post by cj57 »

Keep looking on Gunbroker, they show up, I got a 26" round 38-55 with a mint bore back in Aug.

Clark
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

That barrel can be made to fit easily, if you have a lathe and mill, or a good gunsmith. Simply take your old barrel and use it as a sample to determine how much to cut off the chamber end, then recut the throat and rechamber for the caliber again. Also cut the extractor groove.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Def Willie
Beginner

Post by Def Willie »

That is true plus you have to play with the head spacing and things like that. It's a little more than my gunsmith wanted to do. I'm sure another gunsmith would be pleased to do it. We could also make a sleeve to act as a spacer between the barrel shoulder and the front of the reciever and cut a new slot for the forearm hanger. Has anyone had any luck making a sleeve like that? I think all of that would be a lot cheaper than rechambering, milling extractor slots and headspacing? All I'm after is a good shooter for CAS (Cody/Dixon). If someone has a standard 38-55 barrel that has no pitting I would be willing to trade. This barrel has no pitting and is probably worth more than a non-takedown barrel in this good of shape.
Thanks for the advice
Def Willie
prairie_buck
Beginner

Post by prairie_buck »

I have a very good 1893 Marlin Barrel with receiver in .38-55, 1910-1912 vintage, that I DO NOT want to sell, sorry DEF. I am looking for a wall hanger that needs a barrel. I want to put this good barrel back in service, also for CAS. Please keep in mind that I am NORTH of the Medicine Line, so I am looking for something here in Canada.

Prairie Buck