1881 Marlin

Anything to do with gun smithing.
roundtree
Beginner

1881 Marlin

Post by roundtree »

I have an 1881 Marlin in 40-60. I need a dust cover screw(2), the set trigger set screw(1), and the carrier block spring screw(1).
Also does anyone know of anyone that can make the carrier spring? Mine is broken on the loading gate side?
Is there anyone like Albert Buckingham is for Winchesters parts, that has older Marlin Parts?
Thanks any help is appreciated.

roundtree
8) 8) 8)
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: 1881 Marlin

Post by marlinman93 »

Wisners carries some parts for the 1881, but I don't think they have any of the ones you need. The best bet is to buy spring steel, anneal it, then shape it and cut to size for the carrier spring. Then re-heat treat it, and install. Brownells sells spring stock, or you can go to a local supplier for spring steel. I think that spring is one piece, so both sides will need to be made as one.
The setscrew for the adj. set trigger is a real booger! Tiny little thing, and your best bet there is to go to a local gunsmith and see if he might have a box of misc. screws you can search through to find something that will fit. I've found a couple local guys who are nice enought o let me scrounge, and buy loose junk screws.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
cail1968r
Beginner

Re: 1881 Marlin

Post by cail1968r »

Hi , I've got a NEW old stock carrier block spring for the large frame-- .40 & .45 cals.. Let me know if you still need one . This is U shaped w/ fingers .