How to make a take down front half.

Anything to do with gun smithing.
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

How to make a take down front half.

Post by Sure-Shot »

I have an 1893 takedown in 30-30, I also have a really nice 38-55 1893 barrel. What would it take to convert it to a takedown barrel? I believe one of the suppliers had new takedown mechanisms available, will have to find out which one that was. Is this doable or more trouble than it is worth?
GBOT, GBUSA
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: How to make a take down front half.

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Sure-Shot;

It is doable. The barrel threads will have to be extended and then the caliber marking put back on. I am sure there will have to be some headspace checks after it is finished as well, but the only difference is the longer threads with the takedown yoke installed on the barrel section. Now that I think about, the forearm cap dovetail location will probably be different too.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
robs
Beginner

Post by robs »

Sorry to barge in but I have an 1894 takedown with a spare barrel (barrel only) that I was hoping to turn into a second complete barrel assembly. If any supliers had takedown mechanisms for model 1894 I would sure love to know who.

Rob
cj57
Marksman 1st Class

Post by cj57 »

You just missed some, two wks ago a guy sold 3 of them on this site, I got 1 that another guy backed out on.
Watch gunbroker as they do show up.

Clark
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

How did I miss this post for so long???????
A bit more than extending the threads. The sight dovetail is also farther forward, but you could use a sight off a .22 Marlin which is shorter, and that would make it look better. Additionally the dovetail for the mag tube hanger is farther back on a takedown, so the barrel will need to be shortened, or the dovetail welded shut and recut at the correct location. If you don't mind cutting a 26" barrel to 24", then it's just a new cut for sight and front hanger. If by chance your barrel was overlength, then it could be correct 26" when done. As mentioned the forearm hanger is farther forward, but the old slot wont show under the forearm.
I wish I knew of anyone who was making new parts for takedowns! I know a guy who's toyed with the idea of setting up his CNC mill to make the mechanisms, but so far hasn't proceeded. If there's a willing market it might encourage him!
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!