REFINISHING 39A STOCKS

Anything to do with gun smithing.
JCC18971997
Beginner

REFINISHING 39A STOCKS

Post by JCC18971997 »

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr69 ... 02-1-1.jpg

I have a new to me 39a golden, I need some advise on stripping the finish from the forearm stock and hopefully match color of the new buttstock. Is there an experience stock finisher in the house?
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: REFINISHING 39A STOCKS

Post by marlinman93 »

If you're planning on putting on that really nice buttstock, you may have a tough time matching the forearm if it's not as high a grade of walnut. Even if it's is a similar wood, you'll most likely have to strip both and finish them both to get the two to come close to matching. I have occasionally matched buttstocks to forearms without refinishing both, but it takes some experimenting with stains to get the right match, and then the finish applied and either added until it reaches the same finish, or lightly sanded until it's dull enough to match.
I use either Tapadera N35 (red) or N35B (brown) to stain. I pretty much stick with Minn Wax Wipe-On Poly satin for all stock finishing anymore, as it's goof proof, and easily built up to the right sheen.-Vall
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Jim D
Distinguished Expert

Re: REFINISHING 39A STOCKS

Post by Jim D »

Ditto what Vall said. I think you will need to strip them both. I would go a step further and use KleanStrip wood bleach on both after they're stripped. That will give you a better chance matching the colors on both.

-jim