32-40 problem

Anything to do with gun smithing.
jorgy
Marksman 1st Class

32-40 problem

Post by jorgy »

I was at the range this PM shooting a 1893 32/40. The upper 1/3 of a shell detached from the
rest of the shell & is lodged in the chamber towards the throat. I have had this happen before
& when it happens I take a stiff shotgun bore brush(12 GA) & insert it from the receiver. This
usually works. It did not work for me today. Any suggestions outside of taking it to a gunsmith? The closest one for me is 40 miles one way.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: 32-40 problem

Post by marlinman93 »

Hi Jorgy,
If you have access to a welder you can weld a extesion on the correct sized easy out, then turn it into the stuck case and pull it out. I had a friend weld a rod to an easy out and it works on all the 1893's, plus the .38-40 and .44-40 cases too. Wont take much to grab the case. I turn it in with vise grips, then tap on the vise grip to dislodge it.-Vall
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Jim D
Distinguished Expert

Post by Jim D »

Jorgy,

Something I've used before, and it won't damage the chamber, is to take a plastic drywall expansion anchor sleeve of the proper size, stick it down the chamber where the stuck case is, then screw in the proper size screw for the sleeve. You can get a longer screw if needed than the one that the sleeve comes with. The screw expands the sleeve into the stuck broken case, which will allow you to push it out with a cleaning rod. Quick and easy, and only plastic touches the chamber.

-jim
jorgy
Marksman 1st Class

Post by jorgy »

Jim Thanks for the reply. One question when I put the cleaning rod in the gun
I would assume I would insert it at the muzzle so the broken case goes backwards
right?
Jim D
Distinguished Expert

Post by Jim D »

Yes sir, that is correct.

-jim
Antietamgw
Beginner

Post by Antietamgw »

I have used Cerosafe on half a dozen occasions and it worked very well. I try a new bore brush first, then Cerosafe, then an easyout.
Have only needed an easyout once since I started using cerosafe. Brownell's and Midway have it and it's a good thing to have on hand anyway.
Keep your plow and sword, know how and when to use them.
jorgy
Marksman 1st Class

Post by jorgy »

I went to the Duluth Mn gun show Saturday(didn't see much. There was a 1895 45/70 TD
with 28" oct brl full mag sanded below the metal wood with 70% case mint bore but the
seller was only asking 7G's for it. Sorry guys I did not take it home even tho I was sorely
tempted!) On the way home I stopped at Gander Mtn in Brainerd with the 32/40 & the
gunsmith used the Cerosafe methos to extract the broken shell. It only took 10 minutes &
$10.00 dollars. The reason why this guy works so cheap is that he knows I am a sucker for
old Marlins & he really likes looking at my guns! I think I will order some cerosafe for future use.