marlin 1881, double set trigger hammer fly

Anything to do with gun smithing.
Bohdan D. Palvos

marlin 1881, double set trigger hammer fly

Post by Bohdan D. Palvos »

I have a Marlin Mod 1881,40-60cal with double set triggers, I am looking for a hammer fly to fit the trigger assembly. Does anyone have one for sale or digarams to scale for making one?

Without the hammer fly 1/2 cock and set trigger will not work.

Any information will be greatly appreciated

Bohdan D. Palvos
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: marlin 1881, double set trigger hammer fly

Post by marlinman93 »

If you look at page 154 of Bill Brophy's book on Marlin Firearms, you'll see a breakdown picture of the 1881 double set trigger assembly. I found an 1881 DST that was missing the fly, and was able to make one by scaling from the picture. Took a bit of trial and error, but eventually it worked perfectly.-Vall
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Jim D
Distinguished Expert

Post by Jim D »

I agree with Vall. Even if you were able to buy one somewhere, you would still have to try it and fit it as necessary. The sear has to travel past the half cock notch which is the purpose of the fly. A fly is nothing more than a small pie shaped piece of metal with a stud that sticks in the side of the hammer. If it is too big the sear won't engage, and too small and it won't carry the sear over the half cock notch. If it doesn't carry past the half cock notch, you will break the trigger sear or the hammer sear.

Brownells makes a plate with studs on it for grinding or polishing sears. Basically a plate with interchangable studs; one for the hammer and one for the trigger. You can move these studs to simulate essentially any different firearm, and change the diameter of the studs. So you can simulate a Colt SAA or a Marlin 1881, or whatever. The advantage is that you can see exactly how the sear engages, or if it's a set trigger, how the fly works. Unless you are very familiar with set triggers and have done this before, I would highly recommend this setup.

-jim
Last edited by Jim D on Thu May 15, 2008 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim D
Distinguished Expert

Post by Jim D »

I am out of town right now, but if you like I can set up my trigger polishing gadget from Brownells with a hammer, trigger and a fly so that you can see how it works. Let me know. It would be about ten days before I could get to it.

-jim
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

Please JimD do so when you get a chance. Others want to know how to as well.
GBOT, GBUSA
Bohdan D. Pavlos
Beginner

Post by Bohdan D. Pavlos »

marlinman93 wrote:If you look at page 154 of Bill Brophy's book on Marlin Firearms, you'll see a breakdown picture of the 1881 double set trigger assembly. I found an 1881 DST that was missing the fly, and was able to make one by scaling from the picture. Took a bit of trial and error, but eventually it worked perfectly.-Vall
Thank you very much for the information. My local library has a copy of this book. Will copy the pages and play with it. I found some flys from muzzle loaders but they were all too small.

Bohdan Pavlos
Bohdan D. Pavlos
Beginner

Post by Bohdan D. Pavlos »

marlinman93 wrote:If you look at page 154 of Bill Brophy's book on Marlin Firearms, you'll see a breakdown picture of the 1881 double set trigger assembly. I found an 1881 DST that was missing the fly, and was able to make one by scaling from the picture. Took a bit of trial and error, but eventually it worked perfectly.-Vall
Thank you very much for the information. My local library has a copy of this book. Will copy the pages and play with it. I found some flys from muzzle loaders but they were all too small.

Bohdan Pavlos