Removing a Marlin Model 90 O/U Stock

Anything to do with gun smithing.
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Removing a Marlin Model 90 O/U Stock

Post by BarkeyVA »

I tried to remove the stock to clean the sear box on a recently acquired 16 ga. Marlin Model 90. The slot-head screw in the butt stock would not budge with moderate force. I was afraid to put too much effort into it because the screw slot was already scarred from someone's previous attempts.

Any suggestions on how to break loose the screw before I take it to a gunsmith?
BarkeyVA
Dan Printz
Beginner

Re: Removing a Marlin Model 90 O/U Stock

Post by Dan Printz »

Using the correct size screw driver, (I prefer Brownells) insert the screw driver into the slot with one hand, while at the same time gently tapping with a pall pen hammer with the other. Apply a twisting force with the screw driver making sure that it stays inside of the slot. This does two things: One, it produces a hammering force to the screw so that hopefully it will come out, and two, if there is any corrosion on the screw or slot it will loosen it up. I hope this helps.
Dan Printz/Gunsmithing
The Firing Pin

http://www.danthegunman.com

"Semper Fi" Dan
John 14:6 <((><
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Post by BarkeyVA »

Dan,

I gave up and took it to a local gunsmith a few days ago. He could not budge it with a flathead screw driver. He put a screw driver adapter on the end of an impact wrench. It took two taps with a hammer on the end of the impact wrench to breal it loose. He did warn me before he did it that it might shear off the head of the bolt and he asked me if I wanted him to do it.
BarkeyVA
Dan Printz
Beginner

Post by Dan Printz »

Did you get the screw out?
Dan Printz/Gunsmithing
The Firing Pin

"Semper Fi" Dan
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Post by BarkeyVA »

Dan,

Yes, the screw came out intact. I bought the gun, a Marlin Model 90 Skeetking DT, made in 1939 or '40 and converted to ST, at an estate sale. It dry-fired fine (using snap caps). The first time I shot it, the bottom barrel fired OK but the trigger locked up (as if the safety were on). I thought it might just need a good cleaning. However, when we pulled the stock off, a broken pin 3/4" long x .095" diameter, bent at one end, fell out. I sent the gun to Gunter Pfrommer at Pfrommer Gun Works in Rocky Mount, VA to see if he can repair it.
BarkeyVA
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Post by BarkeyVA »

I got the gun back from Gunter Pfrommer last month. He said that a piece of the broken top lever spring had jammed the trigger. He was able to order a replacement spring and install it after giving the gun a good cleaning. The gun works fine now.

I may have been mistaken about it being a DT that was converted to ST. An individual who has an extensive collection of model 90's, including several Skeetkings, looked at the gun. He does not think it is an ST conversion.
BarkeyVA
Dan Printz
Beginner

Post by Dan Printz »

I love it when a plan comes together!
Dan Printz/Gunsmithing
The Firing Pin

"Semper Fi" Dan