Fitting a cresent butt plate

Anything to do with gun smithing.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Fitting a cresent butt plate

Post by marlinman93 »

I've heard the same thing with newer .32-20's, and also wth liners for .32-20 too! Many are going to .308", and I hope they have really good attorneys! I had a friend who had his 1873 relined by Bienke & Bienke, and they put a .308" liner in it. He was shooting some old factory jacketed .32-20 bullets in it, and getting erratic accurcy. We were shocked when we slugged it and found out it was not only .308", but also a 1-10" twist rate! I can't begin to imagine the pressure spikes the old 1873 Winnie was getting with that small bore and the jacketed bullets, but I'm sure it was more than a 1873 is designed for
I would assume when they talk of "newer", they surely are referring to very recent production of the last few years or so? Can'tt imagine your 1889 would fall into "newer" category, unless you've put a liner in it?-Vall
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Leverdude
Marksman

Post by Leverdude »

I just found this,
Jim, your an artist!
I have a favor I'd like to ask, check your PM when you have a chance!

On another note, the 308 bore surprises me on newer guns. Are the recent Marlin 1894CL's like that? I'd think we would hear about it if they were.

Anyway, my 32/20 does excellent with .312 or .313 dia. bullets.
Ken,

http://photobucket.com/albums/a186/Leverdude/?

Freedoms not free!
Support your NRA!
Eukatae
Beginner

Post by Eukatae »

The lamp black is an inspired idea. I recently fit a stock to a frame I had recently CCHed I wish I had fit the stock first and CCHed later; it would have made it so much easier.
Jim D
Distinguished Expert

Post by Jim D »

It's aways easer to fit the stock before finishing the metal since I like to sand the wood in place. If you do have to restock a gun that is already finished, cover the exposed metal with masking or duct tape to protect the metal finish. You can then sand the wood in place without damaging the finish. (If you're carefull).

-jim
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

I've only done a couple stocks on guns that weren't beinf refinished, and I hate it! It takes me 3-4 times as long to do them since I have to take so much care to protect the existing finish!
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!