Making a Marlin 1889 Split Trigger Spring

Anything to do with gun smithing.
Gunacologist
Beginner

Re: Making a Marlin 1889 Split Trigger Spring

Post by Gunacologist »

The small tail's end really appears to be cut & not broken. And this short tail functions quite well.

The safety lever has a pronounced downward bend at about 2/3rds the way forward. If the tail were to be full length, it would have to be arched considerably more than the wide tail to only hit on the front of the safety lever. Maybe you are right in the full length tail, but I will bet if so it is only bearing on the hump of the safety lever & not applying pressure at the end like we would suspect.

I am new to this forum & fairly new at these old Marlins, but have only been gunsmithing for over 50 years & have made many obsolete replacement parts in my life.
smithywess
Pro-Marksman

Post by smithywess »

Hello Jim,
I know this request of mine relates to an old post of yours but do you think you could repost it? I was unable to see or copy many of the photos you included.It looked to be an outstanding article greatly appreciated by all who read it.I have just purchased a very nice 1889 Marlin in .32-20 whose trigger spring combo is broken,
Thanks very much,
Sandy.
P.S.do you have any advice about how to replace the small spring in the carrier rocker which makes it time with the cam on the lever.
smithywess
Pro-Marksman

Post by smithywess »

Hello Jim,
I don't know what happened but all of a sudden I was able to see all the pictures in your article so all is well now. As I said before it is an outstanding article. Thank you for it.
ytsur231
Beginner

Post by ytsur231 »

Jim D,

Beautiful pictorial...

Back when you first posted this I followed everything to the letter.

Got frustrated trying to temper the spring after many attempts, and finally gave up.

I love this 1889 and really want to use it again.

If you (or if you know of someone else) would make a couple for me I would be more than willing to pay for thier time an effort. Would you be interested?

Thanks
Rusty
ytsur231
Beginner

Post by ytsur231 »

ytsur231 wrote:Jim D,

Beautiful pictorial...

Back when you first posted this I followed everything to the letter.

Got frustrated trying to temper the spring after many attempts, and finally gave up.

I love this 1889 and really want to use it again.

If you (or if you know of someone else) would make a couple for me I would be more than willing to pay for thier time an effort. Would you be interested?

Thanks
Rusty
Jim,

Still have not found a spring.
Can you help me locate a part or some one willing to make a couple for me?
Thanks again.
Rusty