Restoring a Ballard Pacific #5

Anything to do with gun smithing.
Leverdude
Marksman

Post by Leverdude »

JimD,

Very nice stuff! Wow. :D

You said in the first post you did an 89 in the lever action forum.
Maybe its me but I didn't see it. I'd like to, do you have a link?
Ken,

http://photobucket.com/albums/a186/Leverdude/?

Freedoms not free!
Support your NRA!
Jim D
Distinguished Expert

Post by Jim D »

Thanks Ken. The post is titled "restoration of an 1889 Deluxe PG rifle" or
something close to that. It's under the "Lever Action" group, and probably on the second page by now.

Let me know if you can't find it.

-jim
Leverdude
Marksman

Post by Leverdude »

Thank you Jim.
I'v brought back a couple old guns but I cant thread barrels & stuff!
Ken,

http://photobucket.com/albums/a186/Leverdude/?

Freedoms not free!
Support your NRA!
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Ken,
I think Jim's post might be in his CCH post here:
http://www.marlin-collectors.com/forum/ ... php?t=3732
Vall
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Jim D
Distinguished Expert

Post by Jim D »

Color Cased, Blued and Back Together.....

The colors are a little too bright for my tastes. I would normally redo this and lower the wood:bone ratio, but since I'm going to anneal it and send it to Dale Woody for engraving in November, I'll leave it as it is until then.

marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

WOW! Another very fine restoration. I agree with you on the case colors. They are beautiful, but since I've never seen a Ballard in minty condition, I'm unsure how the colors would compare to a typical Marlin lever rifle.
I sure like the total package! Great poject. -Vall
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

One question Jim. Could you tell me a bit about the barrel?
What brand? Did it come as a tapered octagon, or did you have to shape it? What length did you use? (looks like 30"-32")
Jim D
Distinguished Expert

Post by Jim D »

Vall,

The barrel is a Green Mountain Sharps #1 heavy profile. 1.125" at breech and 1.010 at the muzzle. 30", 1-14 twist, .375 groove dia. It's a pretty fast twist for a 38-55. I took it out today to try it on paper with 245 gr FP cast bullets. Didn't do very well at all. I've got a 325 gr Lyman mold that I'll try next. I think it's going to like the heavier bullets with that twist rate. I think the original Ballards were 1-20 twist for the 38-55?

-jim
Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Post by Hunt4em »

Jim,
If those colors bother you that much, I would gladly take it off your hands. You have once again put a great post and rifle together. I want to thank you for showing the details of bring that old action back to life. It makes me think of a saying I was told by a friend,"If you work with your hands you are a laborer, if you work with your hands and your head you are a craftsman, if you work with your hands your head and your heart you are an artist". The transformation of these guns look as though you pour your heart and soul into each one. You are an artist!

Thanks, John
Jim D
Distinguished Expert

Post by Jim D »

John,

Thank you for your very kind words. I do pour my heart and soul into these projects. It's been my passion since I was a kid and I bought my first $5 single barrel shotgun. Unfortunately I'm not sure that I qualify as an artist since the hands and head don't always cooperate!

-jim
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

Clearly an artist. Wish I had the talent and time to learn how to do all that. Maybe when I retire again.
GBOT, GBUSA
38-55kidd
Beginner

Post by 38-55kidd »

Jim,
I do not know what else to say, but that is one nice looking rifle. You should be very proud of the work that you do. It must be a great feeling to be able to build something like that and be able to shoot it.
You do a great job with showing us your progress step by step. Keep up the great work!

Jon
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Thanks for the info on the barrel Jim! That 1-14" twist is a fast one, but it might work with the lighter bullets if you can load them down around 1200 fps. Otherwise you're probably right to go with the heavy 300-325 gr. bullets.
You're also right about the original twist rate, it was 1-20".-Vall
Jim D
Distinguished Expert

Post by Jim D »

Vall,

I loaded up some 335 Gr cast bullets today just to see how they would shoot. I used the latest Lyman loading manual which is the only data that I could find for the 335 Gr bullet. I tried 22 grs of IMR4198 first and fired a test round. The firing pin indent was completely flattened out and the primer started to crater back into the firing pin hole. I was amazed since the manual shows this starting load at 17,000 CUP. So I loaded up another using 20 Grs of XMP5477. Same result, even though this, according to the manual, should also be around 17,000 CUP. Previously I had used a load from Ken Walter's book for a 245 Gr using 24 grs of 4198. Ken did NOT list pressures, but this load was for group 1 actions, in which he included the Ballard. No pressure problems at all. But, no data for the 335 gr Lyman bullet.

I've come to three conclusions:
1. The Lyman loading data must be wrong.
2. The Ballard action is stronger than you might think.
3. I'm probably darned lucky.

Do you know of any loading data for the 335 gr bullet? I guess I can always use Swiss 1 1/2 FG.....

-jim
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Yes Jim, I've got a copy of Charlie Dell and Wayne Schwartz's "The Modern Schuetzen Rifle" which has some loads for heavy bullets. These are not quite as heavy as your 335, but you can at least get a idea of where to start. These are breechseated loads, but should work with a cased cartridge as well.
As you can see the loads are quite a bit lower, even with a lighter bullet. Might want to back down another grain on each with your 335 gr.

320 gr. cast lead, 25:1 alloy, 20.5 grs. 4198
310 gr. cast lead, 25:1 alloy, 17.0 grs. 4759
316 gr. cast lead, 20:1 alloy, 17.5 grs. H4227
321 gr. cast lead, 20:1 alloy, 15.2 grs. 4227

I'm sure you'll use all the proper cautions in loading these!-Vall