Restoring a Ballard Pacific #5

Anything to do with gun smithing.
Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Post by Hunt4em »

Jim,
I like the colors a lot better now, more blues and not so much pink! The KC show is coming up fast and I hope to see this beauty in person. You do know the toughest person for an artist to impress is himself.
Thanks, John
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

That looks great Jim, but now I'm going to throw you a curve! Marlins and Ballards that were engraved had different case colors than plain receivers!
Engraved Marlins and Ballards had almost faded looking case colors, which indicated to me that they didn't want the case colors to wash out or hide the engraving once they were done.
I looked at some of John Dutcher's minty Ballards, and the colors were very subdued. Same thing for the Marlin levers I've seen engraved and minty condition.-Vall
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Jim D
Distinguished Expert

Post by Jim D »

This gun will be at the Marlin booth at the KC gun show Saturday and Sunday morning for anyone wanting to look at it in person.

-jim
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Wish I could have been there to see it Jim! Hope youn had a great time!
Jim D
Distinguished Expert

Post by Jim D »

Thanks Vall! I saw some old friends and some great guns. I got to meet Rick in person and got to drool over his and Harvey's wonderful collection. I even found an old 1875 Remington six shooter that is just begging for some TLC! Old friends, wonderful old guns and something to keep me busy in the workshop. Doesn't get better than that!

-jim
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Spent this Sunday at our OAC gun show here. Put out my Ballard rifle display and pretended I was in KC! :wink: Thought about all you guys having fun and visiting back there!-Vall
Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Post by Hunt4em »

Dad blasted receptions! New rule: NO one I know can get married and serve alcohol on weekends! :oops: I'm sorry I missed the fun and a first hand look at that purrdy rifle. Anyone seen the Ballards in Cabela's gun library? If only I was rich!

John
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Yes, I've drooled over them too! Especially like the 7A1 that they have for a mere $26,000 if I remember right! :wink:
I think the one they have listed as a 1 1/2 with a new GM .40-65 barrel, is mismarked. Most likely a #4 Perfection from the features, and serial number range. If the original barrel was also a octagon it surely wasn't a #1 1/2. At $1599, it's still not a bad deal.
Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Post by Hunt4em »

Val,
I too like that 7A1! If only I had $26 big ones burning a hole in my pocket. :(
I thought that the 1 1/2 should be a #4, but I'm still learning. I think it's a descent price if it's a forged receiver. I haven't contacted them yet, but plan to do so and ask if they know if it's cast or forged. I would bet I could get them to throw it in on the deal if I bought both of those #7's! :P

Thanks, John