Color case hardening

Anything to do with gun smithing.
gunsbrad
Pro-Marksman

Re: Color case hardening

Post by gunsbrad »

In the lacquer

I was pretty happy with these colors. By far the best small parts pack that I had done. The only thing I could tell that I had done differently was I let the quench water temp. creep up to the low 50s. I wouldn't think it would make that much difference but these looked good. I even took a pic of the 22 ga. shields after they came out.

Not bad for rolled sheet metal huh.

Brad Hurt
gunsbrad
Pro-Marksman

Post by gunsbrad »

Next up I decided to redo my BSA Martini 12/15 that I showed on here when I first got this furnace in the spring. It came out ok but I have been getting such good color with my new fixtures I broke this thing down and stuck it in my box.

gunsbrad
Pro-Marksman

Post by gunsbrad »

Out of the quench

gunsbrad
Pro-Marksman

Post by gunsbrad »

In the lacquer

Water quench temp in low 50's again all else was the same. I am pretty happy with these colors as well. I started to wonder if water quench temp is making this big of a difference.

Brad Hurt
gunsbrad
Pro-Marksman

Post by gunsbrad »

Next is the buttplate and lever for the martini. I also stuck on an old spare ruger sa hammer just because I had room.

I did shield them basically the same as the last small parts quench, but apparently I forgot to take a pic of the shielding. The water quench temp had risen a lot as it was a hot day, so I added ice and was a little too zealous. The temp got down to about 41

Out of the quench

Disappointed says you? Disappointed says I. Back in to the oven to anneal and I am thinking there might be more to this temp deal.

Brad Hurt
Jim D
Distinguished Expert

Post by Jim D »

Brad,

Where are you getting your ice? Is it made from tap water or distilled water?

Jim
Parley Baer
Distinguished Expert

Post by Parley Baer »

Those earlier parts are really getting good with a lot better coverage. I think you are getting your method down pretty good.
It's a chancey job and it makes a man watchfull....and a little lonely.
gunsbrad
Pro-Marksman

Post by gunsbrad »

Parley, thanks I think I am getting better too. However my goal is repeatability, and I am not there yet, at least on the small parts. I think I am getting close on receivers though

Jim,

I am using the same commercial source I had been using, and it is not supposed to be tap water I have no control over it however. I also posted several questions on the last page. If you get time to read them I would appreciate your thoughts.

Now back to cch. Wednesday evening I stole some time to redo the buttplate and lever for that martini. I neglected pics but it pretty much looked the same as the last pack wired to tree and shielded with sheet metal. I cooled the quench to 56 and got more color, but still not like the other two packs. I got the gun together yesterday and here are the pics

Brad Hurt
gunsbrad
Pro-Marksman

Post by gunsbrad »

Here are pics of the first low wall action complete that belongs to a buddy of mine. He has a nice stick of english walnut just back from the checkerer, and should be getting the barrel back from matting.

Brad Hurt
gunsbrad
Pro-Marksman

Post by gunsbrad »

A few more pics. I put all the pieces of these two guns together and checked for function. I am about to send the wood off for checkering. The barrels are out being marked and matted. I had a time with my camera today. I got some pics but they ain't great.

First up is the 1892 Winchester in 25-20

next is the flat side winchester low wall also in 25-20

I will still have to rust blue the barrels and a few small parts but I can't wait for the pieces to get back together in the same state.

Brad Hurt
Parley Baer
Distinguished Expert

Post by Parley Baer »

Beautiful rifles. Did you also fit the wood?
gunsbrad
Pro-Marksman

Post by gunsbrad »

Thank you.

Yes I did. I buy the boards rough sawn from a lumber mill dress, cut out blanks, season, and start stocking from the board.

Brad Hurt
Parley Baer
Distinguished Expert

Post by Parley Baer »

Excellent. You do very good work. :wink:
gunsbrad
Pro-Marksman

Post by gunsbrad »

Thanks for the kind words, my barrels are off for marking and matting, and my stocks are off for checkering. When I get all the parts back in the same zip code, I will rust blue the appropriate parts and post pics.

In the mean time here are some pics of my shooting partners rifle(Greg Pennell) he just completed. The low wall action has been posted here before. English walnut stock, #2 weight green mountain barrel 30 long 25-20, matted top flat, and somebody done went and rubbed a bunch of purty all over it.

Brad Hurt
Parley Baer
Distinguished Expert

Post by Parley Baer »

Beautifuly rifle. You guys are doing some first class work.