336 SC Stock Help Needed

Anything to do with gun smithing.
lowenherzig
Beginner

336 SC Stock Help Needed

Post by lowenherzig »

Hi all, I am a new member to MFCA and I am having a problem finding a stock for my 1949 336 SC. I bought a 336 stock but while it will go on the gun, I believe it is called the the trigger guard plate, sticks out well below the stock. This stock fits neatly on my other Marlins so I am assuming that there is something different about the SC stock. I am not seeing it so I am asking all of you out there in Marlin country for some help. What is the difference and where might I find a stok for my 336 SC. I appreciate the help and hope to enjoy this group for a long time.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: 336 SC Stock Help Needed

Post by marlinman93 »

There's no difference in the SC stock. But it's rare for any Marlin stock to fit perfectly since each gun and stock were individually fitted when they built them new at the factory. It may be that your particular SC took less working down to get the action, tangs, etc. fitted properly, so it might be sized differently than others are.
It could be futile to buy numerous original stocks trying to find one that fits yours perfectly. You may have to buy a semi inletted stock set, and fit it to the gun to get the perfect fit it needs.

I've swapped numerous stocks on dozens of Marlin lever action rifles, and rarely found any that were a perfect fit.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
lowenherzig
Beginner

Post by lowenherzig »

I am very grateful for you response but I am finding it hard to believe. I mean not disrespect but I am finding a .25 inch difference in the measurement from the trigger guard plate to the receiver where the stock attaches. This is only on the 1949 SC. It is the only SC that I own right now. My other 336s all fit the stocks nicely. I can interchange them and they look like they belong. I may need to try something else then as you have said. Thank you again for you information.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

lowenherzig wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:32 am I am very grateful for you response but I am finding it hard to believe. I mean not disrespect but I am finding a .25 inch difference in the measurement from the trigger guard plate to the receiver where the stock attaches. This is only on the 1949 SC. It is the only SC that I own right now. My other 336s all fit the stocks nicely. I can interchange them and they look like they belong. I may need to try something else then as you have said. Thank you again for you information.
Not certain where you're taking this measurement? Are you taking it from the end of the lower tang to the trailing edge of the receiver? If so, I'd wonder if the gun has been modified since it left the factory? They all use the same lower tang for any pistol grip model based on the 336 receiver. So if this is a 1/4" difference in the length of the lower tang that's huge! Marlin made them the same so it kept the cost of production lower. Only differences were straight grip lower tangs and stocks, or pistol grip.
The other differences are as I mentioned, in the shaping of stocks and receivers together, for a perfect fit.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
old boots
Beginner

Post by old boots »

sounds like a straight stock on a pistol grip tang...