27s stock finish?

Anything to do with gun smithing.
Bbarcroft
Beginner

27s stock finish?

Post by Bbarcroft »

Hi all. I just purchased a little Model 27s in .25-20. It's nothing special. I just thought it would make a cool little shooter and give me a new cartridge to tinker with at the loading bench.

That being said, the stock and forearm have been refinished and are very glossy. Just doesn't look right. Can anyone tell me how Marlin finished the wood on these, or how I can go about making it look a bit more original?

I'll attach a few pics, so you can see what I'm dealing with.

Thanks folks.

Road King
Expert

Re: 27s stock finish?

Post by Road King »

If you go to page 662 and 663 in Brophy's book it will explain how Marlin finished their early stocks on all guns.
Road King
" More guns then I need, but not as many as I want."
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Already answered question on another forum. Guess my answer wasn't correct?
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

marlinman93 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:29 am Already answered question on another forum. Guess my answer wasn't correct?
Marlinman93....is this the thread you were talking about? Sounds about right.

Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:09 pm

Original finish was actually varnish, which was dipped, and then hand rubbed after drying, with water soaked pumice. Linseed oil was rubbed into the varnish dipped stocks after the original dip and drying was complete. The varnish speeded up the process, rather than doing the whole process with hand rubbed oil. Marlin did use tinted varnish, to get the slightly reddish hues to early stocks, but later stocks after WWI don't seem to have this reddish color.
A very nice similar effect can be achieved using Permalyn Sealer, which Brownells carries. It is extremely thin, so it takes many coats to build up to the original type finish, but the nice part is it wont go too shiny, and then need to be scuffed off later. It usually takes about 12-16 coats wet sanded into a raw stock. The last couple coats can be pumice rubbed, just like the originals were, if you want a higher gloss. You can also wax and buff it once it's set, if you want to bring the shine up a bit more.
Hope this helps.
Road King
" More guns then I need, but not as many as I want."
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

No, it was just a day or so ago on another forum.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!