Marlin Model 99

Anything to do with gun smithing.
Jersey_boy
Beginner

Marlin Model 99

Post by Jersey_boy »

I was given a old Model 99 by a friend a couple of years ago, it has a tubular magazine and no serial number, so based upon what I've read this is an early model from about '59 to '61 IIRC.

Of course in NJ I'm limited to 15 rounds max in a magazine of an autoloading firearm, doesn't matter that the magazine is not detachable, first order of business was to remove the tubular magazine and shorten it and the follower to only allow 15 rounds max, now at least it is now Jersey legal.

Problem I'm running into is the firearm jams with a round in the feed throat and to unjam it I have to disassemble the everything to get to the feed throat. I think the problem is the two halves of the feed throat are moving out of alignment from each other. After some investigation I found that model 66 which was based on the 99 must have had a similar problem as Marlin later went with a single piece feed throat design, unfortunately I don't think the new design will fit into my 99.

The existing feed throat is made out of pot metal and as I mentioned is two pieces, looking at the two halves (sorry no picture) I notice that along the bottom edge of both halves there are two small holes in the corners which appear to line with the other side, in addition on the the top edge there is a very shallow hole on the front edge (from memory).

My questions are -
1) is there supposed to be some sort of pin or pins to keep the two halves in alignment (which I don't have) the holes look like they would easily accept them?
2) if there was no pin can/should I use one?
3) along the top the hole is very shallow, I would almost think one side would have a dimple to fit into the opposite site, it doesn't, thoughts here?
4) thoughts about bringing the feed throat to a machine shop and have the "alignment holes" drilled through and permanently pined/riveted together? there seem to be enough meat along the bottom two, not sure about the small one along the top.
5) is there a better way, other suggestions?

Only problem with item 4 is if the machine shop cracks the part I'm SOL as the feed throat is no longer available.

-JB
Jersey_boy
Beginner

Re: Marlin Model 99

Post by Jersey_boy »

Took a picture of the feed throat see link below

http://jr.bubble.org/20160902_192030.jpg

-JB
Henryflook
Beginner

Marlin Model 99

Post by Henryflook »

My 91 marlin lever wont stay in the detent,it falls open about 1 inch .how do i fix this what part needs replacing? Thanks
Vehicle History Report http://vinnumbercheck.net/vehicle-check.html