Great Grandpa's 32-W Marlin Safety

Anything to do with gun smithing.
vaught221
Beginner

Great Grandpa's 32-W Marlin Safety

Post by vaught221 »

I am looking for a very qualified Gunsmith in the Northwest Missouri area. I have found my Great Grandpa's Marlin Safety lever action 32-W marked with a patent date Oct. 11, 1887 - April 2, 1889 bearing serial number 75637. I am looking for any information anyone can give me using the numbers off this gun. Also I would like to get this gun in working order. My Grandfather for unknown reasons, the gun looks strong to me, removed what I believe to be the hammer spring from the gun so it could not be fired. The action seems to work fine. I have not attempted to put rounds through it to see if the ejectors and such work, but the only problem I can see is that the hammer will not fall when the trigger is depressed. It locks back, and will push forward manually while pulling the trigger, but will not fall on its own.

The last time I allowed a "Gunsmith" to work on a gun that belonged to my Grandfather, came back to me three years later still broken and missing parts that were described to me when I dropped it off with him as "priceless" and "like a nugget of gold" because you can no longer find them...and this guy was distant family. As you can imagine, I have been very reluctant to release this gun to anyone, and due to its age, I need a serious gunsmith.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Great Grandpa's 32-W Marlin Safety

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Vaught221;

If all you need is the main spring, you can get that yourself by going to www.wisnersinc.com They sell lots of Marlin parts, and the main spring for the Model 1889 is one of them.
Your grandfather's Model 1889 is a very interesting gun in that it was one of only 164 to be listed in the old Marlin factory records to be shipped with a 30 inch barrel. It was octagon in shape, in .32-20 caliber and shipped in mid-late 1892. There are just over 55,000 Model 1889's listed in the factory records in rifle, carbine and musket styles. Of those, 15,440 are in .32-20 caliber.
The main spring is a simple repair in that all you have to do is remove the butt stock and hope the main spring retaining screw is still there. The main spring from Wisner's is listed at $27.00.
Good luck..........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
vaught221
Beginner

Post by vaught221 »

Regnier I've seen your name on many of these threads...you know your stuff! I have yet to open it up as I am not comfortable operating on a 120 year old gun, so I do not know what is still in there. If that screw is not, did I see it for sale on the site you mentioned under the spring for $3.50? I also have noticed several people talking about the 32 rimfire. Is this modle a rimfire too? I guess I could understand that being such an old gun, but can you even get that ammo anymore? I also saw another thread where the person was told a rimfire could be converted to a center fire if the pin was changed out. Is that possible? As I stated before, I would like to make this gun operational...probably wouldn't shoot it much, but would like to know I could.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Vaught221;

Sorry to have missed your post in response to my post. The Model 1889 is not a rim fire caliber gun. The .32-20 is a centerfire cartridge. Remember, this is a black powder gun and you should only use low pressure cartridges in it. You can find suitable ammunition for it at Buffalo Arms. Use lead bullets only as the barrel is a soft steel that cannot handle jacketed ammuntion for much use. The jacketed ammunition will wear the rifling out rather quickly if used to much.
Good luck, and have fun......
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
vaught221
Beginner

Post by vaught221 »

Regnier I got it fixed! My gun guy found an origional new in the package hammer spring. He cleaned it up and now it looks great...well as great as it can with a little wear. He seems to think it's a $1,500 - $2,000 gun...is that possible? I'd like to put a picture on here to let you see it, but I'm not sure yet how that gets done.