Marlin A1

Anything to do with gun smithing.
dollarbill
Beginner

Marlin A1

Post by dollarbill »

I recently got a Marlin A1 which I identified thanks to posts here at the Marlin Collectors Association. The rifle was given to me by someone who recieved it from the estate of an acquaintance who had passed away. It was very badly rusted and had obvious water damage to the wood stock indicating it may have been flood damaged. It had been a family heirloom that had no more family left to pass it to. I have done better than I expected to do in my attempt to restore it, but I need help. Can someone tell me how to get some detailed information about the A1? I called the Marlin company and the person I talked to just told me I'm out of luck...seems that the company changed hands a few years back and the old info on the earlier guns wasn't part of the deal. I had no choice but to just go in blindly and take detailed pictures as I went so I could put it back together. I saw some pictures and some posts out there by a guy here at Marlin Collectors Association who has done some great work on his A1. He goes by the name Tigweld. If you read this Tigweld, I could use some help. When I can, I'll post the pictures of the original condition of my A1 when I recieved it. So far I've taken it apart, removed the rust and what was left of the original bluing, put it back together and fired it. I will re-blue it when I can, but I want it fully functional first. At first I couldn't remove the barrel from the reciever. I removed the pin and left it out when I fired it. The pressure of several shots caused the rust to break free enough to get it out. Not the best way to do it, but it worked. The problems that I now face are the fact that the breech bolt handle is missing. When I got this thing, it had an undersized threaded bolt wrapped with some cloth and just shoved into the hole. I have a temporary fix, but no leads on how to get a new one...Numerich doesn't have it and neither does anyone else. I just got new clip from Numerich that also came with a new magazine reciever catch that was supposed to be sufficient to make it usable on the A1...wrong. I also got a new extractor, extractor spring, and extractor plungers...those had to be filed down just to fit and I'm not even certain they are installed correctly because all I have is the Numerich "schematic" and parts list to go by. A detailed exploded view would be nice...an AGI course on DVD would be even better, but they don't have one. Can anyone help out with my restoration project?