Looking for a tool for firing pin divot in Marlin 57

Anything to do with gun smithing.
IDRACCA
Beginner

Looking for a tool for firing pin divot in Marlin 57

Post by IDRACCA »

I am trying to identify and find a tool that some have mentioned in a forum that i have read on the Marlin model 57. Here is what it said, "Brownell's sells a tool to iron out the firing pin divot on the breech face." I Talked to tech at Brownell's who said he was not sure what this was but assured me that they no longer carry this tool. Any insight or info on such a tool would be much appreciated.
GeneB
Beginner

Re: Looking for a tool for firing pin divot in Marlin 57

Post by GeneB »

It's a 'chamber ironing swage' and Brownell's shows it in stock - https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tool ... 44240.aspx They are made to screw on a cleaning rod and be pulled into the chamber if you can get it from the rear.

Another option is to get a drill bit about the size of a 22 chamber and taper the shank a little and put a flat on it, insert it with the flat at the ding and then push it in or turn to remove the ding and push metal back under the firing pin. If it goes right, you should not have to remove any metal. A #2 drill is a little under @ 0.221 and a #1 a little over cartridge size @ 0.228 but might be close to chamber size.