Marlin 36A 1946-48?

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

swampfoxcws
Beginner

Marlin 36A 1946-48?

Post by swampfoxcws »

I picked up a Marlin 36A yesterday. The serial number is 13832. There is a stamp in front of the ser # which could be a G, but does not look clearly like any letter.

I took it out and shot it, and it misfired (not a good firing pin strike) twice, and is not wanting to eject the shells. I'm waiting on a manual from Marlin to take it apart and give it a good cleaning. It's pretty dirty, and has been sitting up for about 30 yrs.

Any advice, history, comments on the gun? I'd like to know all I can about it. I also may need to get some parts or get it worked on. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Wilton
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 36A 1946-48?

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Wilton;

If your rifle is indeed a Model 36A, then the serial number letter prefix would have to be a "C" for 1946. A "G" prefix would be for 1950, and the Model 36 was not being manufactured then as Marlin had switched to the Model 336 in 1948.
When you disasseble your breech bolt, make sure the tip of the firing pin is not broken making it a little short. That could be a cause to look for.
Wisners and Numrich Gun Parts are both good sources for parts. Bob's Gun Parts has some thing too.
Good luck......
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
swampfoxcws
Beginner

Post by swampfoxcws »

Thank you, Sir. It's definitely a 36A. It's printed plainly on the barrel. The symbol/figure preceding the serial number is well away from the ser #, and is not recognizable as any letter. It is cut very deep, with sort of a hole in the center, and is plainly visible, so it's some type of manufacturer's mark. It would make sense for it to be a C, just cut very deep. 1946 is consistent with what Marlin told me when I called them.

Thank you very much for your reply and your help. I'll try to get it cleaned up and back in action. I'd like to kill an elk with it this year, but may have to wait til next year, after I get it squared away.

If anyone else has advice or opinions, I'd like to hear more. Thanks. Wilton
swampfoxcws
Beginner

Post by swampfoxcws »

UPdate....:)

I ended up ordering and installing ejector and firing pin.

The firing pin turned out to be broken. There was a roundish, battered piece of metal tumbling around in there randomly striking the cap of the cartridge!

Everything is beautiful now with the function. The old sights are the challenge now. It had an old brass scope on it, which I took off. The sights are missing the adjustment wedge on the rear sight, but does not hit too bad. Just gotta figure it out. Thinking about a Williams peep sight.

I love the gun. It was used for decades as a saddle gun on a ranch. The action is smooth as silk.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Wilton;

It has been a while, but good to know that you got your Marlin Model 36A back into operation. I fully understand the sight situation. As we age, the sights just do not seem to cooperate with our eyes. Just to bad that our eyes do not stay the same and the sights age instead! You will get it figured out, just as you did the firing pin problem.
Good luck with the sights...
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.