Model 39A dating

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

cisley
Beginner

Model 39A dating

Post by cisley »

I have an older model 39A, serial number 81****. Believe to have been manufactured around WWII, but would like to narrow down the year. Spent some time researching on line but could only narrow to between 1922 and 1948. Hope someone out there can help point me in the right direction. Has been in the family since new, with me as the third owner, and want to be able to better document the history on this gun. Thanks for any help.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Model 39A dating

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Cisley;

So far, the information you have is incorrect. The Model 39-A did not come out until 1939/1940. The 39-A's up to 1964 had a single letter prefix to the serial number, and up to 1968, had a two letter prefix to the serial number. We need that letter(s) prefix to fix the date of manufacture. Your first digit, the "8" may be the letter "B" or a deep stamped "P" or "R". Look closely.........it will make a big difference.
If there is no letter to the serial number, then there is another problem. Get back to us on the serial number and someone will help.
Looking forward to your reply.....
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
cisley
Beginner

Post by cisley »

Thanks for the reply.

Sat down with a better light and did a closer inspection. Found that s/n leads off with letter S, not an 8. Found that this matches back to 1948/1949. Not quite as old as thought. Was trying to date so that I can find correct replacement guide spring. From looking at schematics, I guess I am safe to assume that this gun is considered an "Early Model"(finger lever in not rounded on the back)?

Again, thanks.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Cisley;

If the serial number letter prefix is an "S", then your gun was made in 1959, not 1948 or 1949. The rounded off lever started in 1940, so if you have one of the early, squared off levers, then something has been changed. Your barrel should be marked "Golden 39-A" if it was made in 1959. Is the receiver blued and drilled and tapped for mounting a scope?
Again....looking forward to your reply.

cisley
Beginner

Post by cisley »

Finally had chance to check my gun closer. Here's what I found:

Serial number does lead off with "S"
Appears that the receiver was blued, but worn from handling (many years of squirrel hunting) and I believe I recall my father re-blueing in the 60's
Has been drilled for scope mounting
No markings anywhere "Golden 39-A", marked Marlin Model 39-A on the barrel.
Behind hammer, marked Model 39
Does have the "bullseye" on the stock.
Lever is squared off, not round

Once again, thanks for any suggestions on the age.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

There's lots of bels and sirens going off in my head when I hear a "Model 39" on the top tang, but "Golden" on the barrel! Sounds suspiciously like a model 39 from the 1922-38 era, with a late production barrel. Or maybe two halves of early 39 and late 39a mated together!
Better pull the buttstock off and see what serial number is on the left side of the top tang. Might clear up the mystery.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
cisley
Beginner

Post by cisley »

Thanks for reply. Will pull buttstock off at next opportunity. I may have mis-typed, does not say "Golden 39-A" anywhere on barrel.

Again thanks for the feedback. Will get back to forum when I have more information.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Cisley;

Is your barrel round or octagon? If it is round, then someone replaced your octagon barrel with a later Model 39-A barrel. Could have been done at the factory. Does it have a slim forearm or a "fat" beavertail style forearm as used on the Model 39-A's.
The Model 39 did use the "S" prefix between 1925 and 1932. After that, the Model 39 had an "HS" prefix. The squared off lever is from the Model 39 era.
I think we are getting closer to figuring out what you have.....

cisley
Beginner

Post by cisley »

You know, I love a mystery.

Took the gun apart last night to check numbers. Here is what I found:

Stamped inside the buttstock and in the left rear of the receiver "765". This matches the last 3 of the serial number. Could find no numbers on the side of the top tang, though did notice a 6-pointed star stamped near where was marked Model 39 on the top tang.

Found a mark on the barrel near the receiver "JM" with a circle around the initials.

While apart, did notice that has a coil mainspring.

The barrel is round, and the forearm is slim.

Again, thanks for all the help on finding exactly what this is.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Cisley;

With the main spring changed to a coil spring system, I would speculate that your gun was rebarreled at the factory and they changed out the flat main spring. Why they did not put on a "fat" forearm at the time is a mystery, but who cares, the slim forearm is more desirable.
The six pointed star started early 1926. It was an inspection mark.
I hope this helps.

cisley
Beginner

Post by cisley »

Really appreciate the help.

The original mfg. would be, then, between 1926 and 1932? If so, an amazingly constructed gun to still be shooting this good.

Now I can order the correct parts. Have a broken ejector spring.

All other parts seem in pretty good condition. Do you have any recommendation on anything else that should be replaced, just based on the age of the rifle.

Thanks for all of the information.

C. Isley
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Cisley;

You can get the new ejector from Wisner's at http://www.wisnersinc.com Best check the breech bolt on your Marlin Model 39 with the "S" serial number prefix. If it is the original breech bolt, then you should not shoot high speed ammunition in it, only standard velocity or target ammunition. Since it appears your gun was rebarreled and had the new main spring assembly installed, I would about bet the breech bolt was replaced too with a newer, made for high speed ammunition breech bolt. While you have the gun broken down, run a cleaning rod through the magazine tube. Lots of nasty stuff gathers there over the years.
Otherwise, just have fun with it..............

cisley
Beginner

Post by cisley »

Thanks for all of the info.

C Isley
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Regnier (gunrunner) wrote:Cisley;

With the main spring changed to a coil spring system, I would speculate that your gun was rebarreled at the factory and they changed out the flat main spring. Why they did not put on a "fat" forearm at the time is a mystery, but who cares, the slim forearm is more desirable.
The six pointed star started early 1926. It was an inspection mark.
I hope this helps.
Is there a reason that the change to a coil mainspring would indicate the barrel change would be factory? I've converted a number of early 1893, 94, and 39 Marlins to coil spring, and never changed a barrel?-Vall
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
djphil2323
Beginner

Post by djphil2323 »

Hello, I was hoping someone could help me date a Golden 39A with a "V" prefix. Serial number is V3287
Thank you to whomever can help

Phil