45-70 Century Limited 125th Ann.?????

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Dyllan
Beginner

45-70 Century Limited 125th Ann.?????

Post by Dyllan »

I have this rifle waiting for me at home for my return from Iraq. My buddy gave me the serial # 18952309
Can anyone give me any or all the info. this # gives. I believe these rifles were made in 1995 and there were only 2000 made???? All I know is I wanted a 45-70 Century Limited, and I figured what the heck I saw this NIB on line and went for it. I'm sure I wont regreat it. If I like it as much as I think (he's sent pics),,, I'll be looking for a LXT III (someone told me this is the one with the octagon barrel?) Thats what I want (if I fall in love with this beutiful 45-70 125th Ann.
Any and all info. would be great.

Thanks......
Somewhere in Iraq!!!!!!!
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!! Lead, Follow, Or Get The *beep* Out Of The Way!!!
Don Anderson
Distinguished Expert

Post by Don Anderson »

Hi Dyllan:

Good to hear from you again. Regarding your Model 1895, if the serial number your buddy gave you is correct, the first two numbers of "18" indicate it was made in 1982. (100-18=82 or 1982). This cannot be one of the 125th Anniversary models if it was made in 1982. As you know, 1995 was the 125th year for Marlin and also the centennial year celebrating the 100th year of the Model 1895, consequently the Century Limited total of 2265 were made in 1995 only. Please have him double check the first two numbers in the serial number again. Also, if it is Marlin's 125th, it would have come with an 1/2 round 1/2 octagon 24 inch barrel that would be roll stamped Model 1895 CLTD and the engraved receiver would have a satin finish.

I was never into the Davidson's special runs of the Model 1895's, so can anyone out there give me some help as to the years and the various editions Davidson's had made up of the 1895. I believe they had four editions. Is it possible that Dyllan may have one of these? Did Davidsons make any of these back in 1982? Thanks.

Don
Greyghost
Beginner

Re: 45-70 Century Limited 125th Ann.?????

Post by Greyghost »

I hope that arbitrary post din't ruin that soldiers high regards for his 1895 Century Limited... did it occur to the poster just why the first four of the serial number might be 1895????

Pretty sure they all have the same first four, and that it has something to do with them being a limited production centenial rifle!

Hey, but poster probalby knew that already!

Phil
"Gun owners - the people who actively believe that the Second Amendment right is one worth keeping- - aren't doing enough to keep it!"