Marlin Mod 36 30-30

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

RussGambill
Beginner

Marlin Mod 36 30-30

Post by RussGambill »

Hello. I recently inherited my father's gun collection and one is a stamped on the barrel Marlin model 36 30-30. The serial number under the lever is stamped Z252019 which I believe the "Z" indicates manufactured in 1964. But the fact that it is a model 36 that it's date is much earlier. The stock is dark and smooth finished. This is a very well kept rifle and works well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin Mod 36 30-30

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

RussGambill;

Take a look at the rifling inside the barrel. A gun made in 1964 will Marlin's patented Micro-Groove rifling of 16 narrow lands and grooves.
If this is a barrel from a Model 36, made prior to 1948, then it will only have either 4 or 6 lands and grooves.
If it is the later barrel with less lands and grooves, then either it was a left over barrel that somehow found it's way into the production line,or the barrel had been replaced with an earlier barrel.
If it is a Micro-Groove barrel, then it is a marked barrel of the Model 36 era and not rifled and later rifled with Micro-Groove rifling, or that it was a Model 336 barrel and a 3 of 336 did not take or the die was broken and a 3 is missing.
Best guess as to the reason for what you have.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.