Relishing a (JM) Marlin

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

shootrj2003
Marksman

Relishing a (JM) Marlin

Post by shootrj2003 »

I’m refinishing a 30 AS that got wet ina fire and was seized ,there was ,actually not much deep pitting but enough to reblue and need some abrasive work,I will rust blue it as that is what I do and it affects the value in this case ,not much ,it may even increase its value as rust blue is better looking and I’m not selling it anyway.
My question is were Marlin levers receiver sides finished vertically ( using the abrasive up and down direction) or was the grain of the finish lengthwise or horizontally,I always did it vertically and thought they always looked that way but have often wondered how the factory (JM) did it? I think I’m right ,am I?
The Barrel is shot,ruined,kaput done lol,it is replaced with a NOS never used 30 AW barrel,New Haven mfg.so now it is an AW and walnut stocks are coming to replace the beech parts.
being of a mind that an armed populace is a free populace.... i'm armed!
shootrj2003
Marksman

Re: Refinishing a (JM) Marlin

Post by shootrj2003 »

SearchAdvanced search
1 post • Page 1 of 1
shootrj2003
Pro-Marksman
Relishing a (JM) Marlin
Post by shootrj2003 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:04 pm

I’m refinishing a 30 AS that got wet ina fire and was seized ,there was ,actually not much deep pitting but enough to reblue and need some abrasive work,I will rust blue it as that is what I do and it affects the value in this case ,not much ,it may even increase its value as rust blue is better looking and I’m not selling it anyway.
My question is were Marlin levers receiver sides finished vertically ( using the abrasive up and down direction) or was the grain of the finish lengthwise or horizontally,I always did it vertically and thought they always looked that way but have often wondered how the factory (JM) did it? I think I’m right ,am I?
The Barrel is shot,ruined,kaput done lol,it is replaced with a NOS never used 30 AW barrel,New Haven mfg.so now it is an AW and walnut stocks are coming to replace the beech parts.