Marlin 1891 Lever Action

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

rwhunn
Beginner

Marlin 1891 Lever Action

Post by rwhunn »

I am a proud owner of a Marlin 1891 lever Action 32 caliber. I inherited this rifle about a year ago. It is a Rim Fire for which I have purchased the Center Fire pin. The serial # is 84469 made in 1893. It has a tube feed loading system. There is some debate with some friends that it is a .32 short Colt or a 32 20. From the research I have done, I don't see where Marlin made this rifle in a 32 20. Before we go further with cleaning and restoring to where it safely fire, I would like to confirm my research.
Ron Hunn
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 1891 Lever Action

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Rwhunn;

You are nearly correct on the caliber of your Model 1891 Marlin rifle. The caliber is .32 Colt, but it was made to handle all three sizes of the .32 Colt cartridge in either rim or center fire cartridges. The three sizes are short, long and long rifle, just like the .22 caliber guns.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
rwhunn
Beginner

Post by rwhunn »

Thank you!!!

I'm currently looking for an ejector spring part #18G. 17G is shorter and jams the lever. Wisners and Numrich both have the 17G but not 18G. Any Suggestions?
Ron Hunn
rwhunn
Beginner

Post by rwhunn »

Regnier (gunrunner) wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:32 pm Rwhunn;

You are nearly correct on the caliber of your Model 1891 Marlin rifle. The caliber is .32 Colt, but it was made to handle all three sizes of the .32 Colt cartridge in either rim or center fire cartridges. The three sizes are short, long and long rifle, just like the .22 caliber guns.
Thank you!! I purchased ammo from Colorado Custom Ammo and was able to shoot my 129 year old rifle. It's not ejecting the rounds, so we are now looking at parts to fix that issue.
Ron Hunn