Is it worth repair / refinish?

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

demarestg
Beginner

Is it worth repair / refinish?

Post by demarestg »

My grandfather died a year ago and had a Marlin. My father is only sort of interested in guns but isn't much for research on this. From what I can tell, it's a Marlin "Safety" 1889 .38W SN 94294 The Wood is a little worn but fine, it seems mechanically sound and the barrel is clean and good. Rust and age on the exterior metal but otherwise in good shape. Other than a family piece, is it worth money to get it looking pretty?

I don't know how the firing pin is supposed to function on these but it seems to slide forward and back easily. Is there a spring that is suppose to hold it back until the hammer hits it or does the cartridge just keep the pin back until the hammer hits it?

Can I clean the exterior metal with steel wool and wipe it down with some protective oil?

It appears the .38W is a 38-40 Right? I am finding it hard to find any ammo like that, is there a secret site I can actually get that or would someone need a custom reload on their own?

Thanks for any input on this!
shootrj2003
Marksman

Re: Is it worth repair / refinish?

Post by shootrj2003 »

Without looking at it I’m pretty sure it’s worth leaving it as is,it is worth more as it sets,of course,its the owners gun, but other than cleaning it ,shooting it and wiping the metal with oil and wood with a wax gently ,that’s it.some would say that too much.
being of a mind that an armed populace is a free populace.... i'm armed!