Buyers Beware!!

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Buyers Beware!!

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

RIA Buyers Beware;

Anyone going to bid on the upcoming RIA auction should be aware that lot 3050, listed as a factory engraved Model '97 is a phony! So far, RIA has refused to acknowledge that fact and insist that it is factory original. This gun is a total fake, so be forewarned and be careful.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Buyers Beware!!

Post by marlinman93 »

Thanks!
I went to look at it, as I haven't looked through this auction yet. Some glaring issues in the way the engraving is done vs. the way a real factory engraved Marlin was done. Of note is the way the borders are done.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Vall;

It is not just the borders that create the overall concern of this being a fake, it is all of the engraving that the old time engravers tricks using stamps to create a repeated element of the engraving such as the small, spiral scrolls in the border, and the different size stamps that was used in the actual engraving that was then "chased" to give depth and breadth to the scrolls in the body of the engraving. All of the scrolls on this piece are cut by the engraver as modern fakers do not those stamps that the original engravers had. The thing about the stamps is that they are the same each and every time, and the modern faker cannot cut those scrolls the same depth, size and shape each and every time, which is the dead give-a-way to determine a fake engraved gun.
I was going to bid on 3 guns in this auction, but after seeing that RIA will stand behind a fake, it makes me wonder if I can believe anything they say about any of the items they offer. I hate to pass up on the items of interest to me, but they have proven that they just are not worth my trust and money.

Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Vall;

It is not just the borders that create the overall concern of this being a fake, it is all of the engraving that the old time engravers tricks using stamps to create a repeated element of the engraving such as the small, spiral scrolls in the border, and the different size stamps that was used in the actual engraving that was then "chased" to give depth and breadth to the scrolls in the body of the engraving. All of the scrolls on this piece are cut by the engraver as modern fakers do not those stamps that the original engravers had. The thing about the stamps is that they are the same each and every time, and the modern faker cannot cut those scrolls the same depth, size and shape each and every time, which is the dead give-a-way to determine a fake engraved gun.
I was going to bid on 3 guns in this auction, but after seeing that RIA will stand behind a fake, it makes me wonder if I can believe anything they say about any of the items they offer. I hate to pass up on the items of interest to me, but they have proven that they just are not worth my trust and money.

cj57
Marksman 1st Class

Post by cj57 »

There are some one o f a kind Marlins in that auction, with provenance! They should be happy to show that one as FAKE! It would show them to be honest and attract auction skeptics.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Cj57;

I agree, there are some terrific Marlin's offered in this auction. But the fact that the auction house cannot be trusted to be honest when a mistake has been made and admit to it, then that does not leave much room for trust. As I said, there was 3 guns I had planned to bid on, but now I am not so sure I want to support a dishonest company. I have pointed out things in the past to them that were not as described and got the same results, so this is not the first time!

cj57
Marksman 1st Class

Post by cj57 »

Rick
You are right! I have had good dealings with Little John’s out in CA. They took one back from me with an Apology and I got a 94 15” carbine from them and it didn’t have the ATF clearance, they said they would refund if it didn’t clear, that they thought it came in with the gun. They sent the gun in on their dime and called me when it arrived back with the letter! Nice people, that I talked with and we’re very concerned with making me happy!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Cj57;

I have dealt with John Gangle in the past and he is a good guy. I also have good dealings with people at Poulin's, too. If I contact them about a fake, they will listen to me, unlike RIA. RIA will just not admit to making a mistake as it will cost them and the consignor money. And, they are only all about the money.

Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

The fake gun ( lot 3050 of the RIA auction ) brought $17k plus buyers penalty. Someone is going to be quite upset when they find out that they bought a phony engraved gun! Their only recourse will be to demand their money back as RIA stated that it was factory engraved in the bold type of the description, which is the only thing the auction houses will stand behind. Anything after the bold type is up for grabs when it comes to the auction houses standing behind a description.
Buyers beware...............