Annie Oakley's favorite 22

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Park
Beginner

Annie Oakley's favorite 22

Post by Park »

When I ask tbe history question, What.was Annie Oakley's favorite 22?

I received an answer of a 22 cal "Marlin 1891 slide action" rifle.

Yet, when I Google that specific Marlin model, it states it is a lever action. Please help understand.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Annie Oakley's favorite 22

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Park;

The Model 1891 is/was a lever action rifle. As far as we know, Annie did not use pump action rifles in her exhibition shooting. She did use some pistols and shotguns along with her rifles which did include a Winchester as well.
She did have other Marlins than just the Model 1891. She had a Model 1893 and 1897 that were presented to her by the Marlin Company, as was the custom of that era. Many exhibition shooters were presented rifles to use in their exhibitions. It was good advertising for the company to show how accurate their product was. Cartridge companies had their exhibition shooters traveling the country demonstrating the reliability and accuracy of their cartridges.
Winchester and Remington made cartridges and guns, so naturally, their exhibition shooters used Winchester ammunition and rifles as did Remington.
Marlin did not make ammunition, and the Peters Cartridge Company did not make guns, so Marlin provided Peters exhibition shooters with Marlin rifles to use and get exposure to the public.
Annie was very famous and every gun company wanted her to use their guns while she toured with Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show. Annie had guns presented to her from several gun companies, not just Marlin. There is a video online of a film made of Annie doing some shooting, and she was using a Marlin .22 caliber lever action rifle in the film.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Park
Beginner

Post by Park »

Oakley used Marlin rifles in her performances, and one of her favorite rifles was Marlin's Model 1891, a . 22 caliber pump action rifle. This is the rifle she used most while performing with the Wild West Show.Jan 1, 2020

People also ask
What 22 rifle did Annie Oakley use?
Marlin Model 1891
22 caliber) to Annie Oakley in 1903, the first of two engraved and gold-plated Model 1897s Marlin presented to her (the second in 1906). Prior to the gift, she often used a Marlin Model 1891 . 22 caliber sliding rifle.

A sliding rifle would be a pump...correct?
Park
Beginner

Post by Park »

Ask Google what a 1891 was and the response is a lever action, yet ask Google what AOL favorite gun was and it response an 1891 slide action. I'm confused?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Park;

You cannot believe everything you read on GOOGLE, or Wikileaks for that matter.
The Model 1891 is a lever action rifle. Marlin did not make a pump action rifle until 1906. Frankly, I do not know if I have ever seen a photo of Annie with a pump action rifle.
The Model 1891 was the first lever action rifle to be able to use the short, long and long rifle cartridges, interchangeably without adjustment to the gun. There are actually two Model 1891's. The first variation, made only one year, loaded the magazine through a loading port in the side of the receiver,which proved to a little difficult because ammunition at the time was externally lubricated. The second variation was made for three years and loaded through the front end of the magazine tube.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Park
Beginner

Post by Park »

Thank you very much for helping to dispell Google.