Rifle Identification

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

gluedude9051
Beginner

Rifle Identification

Post by gluedude9051 »

I have an old Marlin rifle, looks like late 1800s by the info on the barrel. .32 Colt (center fire or rimfire). Receiver is plated (I am guessing nickel) and engraved, the back half of the barrel is octagonal, the front half is round. Lever action. I am wondering if it is anything special - it is in very good condition and I cannot find anything about it on line. I am not sure how to attach pictures.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Rifle Identification

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Gluedude9051;

Marlin rifles in .32 Colt caliber will be either a Model 1891 ( 2nd variation ) or a Model 1892/'92. The Model 1891 was made from 1892 to 1895 when it was replaced by the Model 1892. The Model 1892/'92 was made from 1895 to December of 1915, and a few after that. I have a Model 1892 in .22 caliber with an "A" prefix serial number that would have been made in 1916.

The Model 1892 will have a model marking on the upper tang, behind the hammer. Some Model 1891's were marked with a model marking, but most were not. Another way to tell the difference is that the Model 1891 will have a trigger safety whereas the lever must be fully in the up position to fire the rifle. There will be a small "button" on the lower tang that the lever has to push up in order fire the rifle.

Any engraved and plated Marlin rifle with a half octagon barrel will be "anything special" so long as it is in original, factory condition. The serial number will help determine which model you have. The Model 1891 usually has more interest to collectors, but engraved Model 1892's are very few and far between, so they have interest to collectors also.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.