Dad's old 30-30

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

NickW
Beginner

Dad's old 30-30

Post by NickW »

Hello, I hope this post is allowed here, if not the Mods can remove. Recently my Father passed down his old Marlin 30-30 to me. Ever since I was a child i've been super interested in this gun. My father got it from his Father's estate after he passed in the early 90's. I was curious if anyone could tell me the rough time period it was manufactured in. It has the following Engravings on the barrel,

" Marlin Fire-Arms CO., New Heaven, CT. USA
PAT'D OCT 11 1887 APRIL 2 1889 AUG 1 1893.
Special Smokeless Steel "

It also has the engraving Marlin Safety above the lever.

If anyone has a rough idea it'd be greatly appreciated.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Dad's old 30-30

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

NickW;

We need far more information about this rifle to help you. The model marking should be on the upper tang, behind the hammer. Also, the serial number will help estimate the date of manufacture. If you are not comfortable with posting the entire number, you can list the first three digits and X out the last numbers.
The fact that the barrel marking is a hyphenated Fire-Arms helps a little to determine when it was made, but the serial number will get us much closer. This is is a Model 1893, which was made from June of 1893 to sometime in late 1920 when the model designation was changed to the Marlin Model '93. The Special Smokeless Steel and the .30-30 caliber tell us it was made after 1895.
Looking forward to your reply.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
NickW
Beginner

Post by NickW »

Thank you for your response, time, and help, I greatly appreciate it. I looked behind the hammer for the model marking, but I there was no marking that I found. The Serial Number is 365739. I hope this helps some. Thanks again for your help.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

NickW;

The 365,000 serial number range will place this Model 1893 in about the mid to late 1907 or early 1908 time frame.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
NickW
Beginner

Post by NickW »

Whoa, its so much older than I imagined, Thank you for your help. My family and I are very appreciative. It will stay in the Family hopefully for many more generations to come.