Question about a rifle in the family

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

jgenteman
Beginner

Question about a rifle in the family

Post by jgenteman »

Hi everyone. My father recently handed down my grandfather’s Marlin rifle to me. I don’t have a lot of it’s history and wondered if someone could help me out.

My grandfather bought it when he was in high school so it’s fairly old, but I can’t tell when it was made. The serial number is 379578. If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great.

Thanks
John
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Question about a rifle in the family

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

John;

Unfortunately, the serial number of your grandfather's rifle is too high for the existing Marlin Factory Records.
So, we need a little more help from you in order to give you more information about the rifle.
If you look at the upper tang, behind the hammer, there will be a model marking. Also, the caliber will be marked on the barrel, just in front of the receiver, and those two things will help us to help you.
Anything else you can tell us will help, too. Does the rifle have a straight grip stock, or is it a pistol grip stock? How long is the barrel, measured from the muzzle to the front of the breech bolt? Is it a solid frame gun or does it takedown into two parts?
Looking forward to your reply.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
shootrj2003
Marksman

Post by shootrj2003 »

I have not any idea what rifle you have
being of a mind that an armed populace is a free populace.... i'm armed!
kurt_johnson
Beginner

Post by kurt_johnson »

I am trying to correctly identify a family rifle that was my Grandfather's. It is a Marlin lever gun chambered in 32-20 with a 28" half octagon barrel fitted with a flip-up sight behind the hammer. It has a serial no of 413547 under the chamber area near the forearm. It is marked atop the octagon portion of the barrel with "MARLIN FIRE-ARMS CO. NEW HAVEN, CT, U.S.A Second line PATENTED OCT. 11 1887, APRIL 2, 1889, AUGUST 1 1893." It is in excellent firing condition. The magazine tube extends a short distance from the forearm only as far as the octagon portion of the barrel. Family lore identified this as a Marlin 1893, but after reading this forum for a while I'm not so sure. I would like help in correctly identifying this rifle and, if possible, when it was manufactured. Family lore has that it was acquired by my grandfather in Oregon during the 1930's. Any help please?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Kurt_Johnson;

A Marlin rifle with a serial number in the 413,000 range, in .32-20 caliber will be a Model '94. If you remove the tang mounted peep sight, you will see the model marking.
A rifle in the serial number range mentioned was most likely manufactured in about 1912/1913. The existing old factory records end in December of 1906, so we can only estimate any thing after that date.
The extra length, half round/half octagon barrel is a special feature not often encountered, same for the half magazine. These features together make for a desirable, collectible firearm. Standard barrel length of the Model 1894/'94 was only 24 inches.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
kurt_johnson
Beginner

Post by kurt_johnson »

Regnier,

Thanks so much for your information. With the desirable features you indicated, any guess at a valuation? That will help me correctly insure the firearm and make ready to pass it down the family tree when the time comes.

Thanks again, Kurt