Ammo Marlin Saferty 1892

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Shoresands
Beginner

Ammo Marlin Saferty 1892

Post by Shoresands »

Inherited 1892 (I believe) Marlin Safety. Two search sites for serial # say manufactured in 1899 and trying to determine ammo to use. Is in excellent condition. Also, without taking it apart can I determine if it's rim fire or centerfire? Guess if I find out caliber I could try a spent cartridge. New to all this but hungry for knowledge as I also got several other old guns and never had guns before. Thanks!
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Ammo Marlin Saferty 1892

Post by marlinman93 »

You never mentioned the caliber? But guessing since you mentioned RF/CF that it's a .32 Long? Ammo is non existent, so if you don't reload, it will be tough to shoot it. Especially now with no ability to attend gun shows where you might find ammo in .32 Long or .32 Short.
The cartridge is NOT the .32 S&W Long or SHSort. It can be fired using .32 Long or Short Colt, but how accurately it shoots depends on what bullet the Colt ammo has? Best to find some .32 Long Colt brass, and buy a heeled bullet mold for the correct bore diameter, and reload ammo that's a good fit for the gun's groove.
Wisner's Gun Parts sells CF firing pins, so if yours is a RF firing pin it needs to be changed. .32 RF ammo runs about $100 per 50 IF you can find it. Far too collectible to shoot really.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Shoresands
Beginner

Post by Shoresands »

Thanks for the info. If I find some ammo I will have to bite the bullet and buy it so I can shoot it a few times to experience what my granddaddy felt. Then I can either keep and let one of my decendents sell or sell or trade for something I can shoot regularly. Not comfortable loading my own. I am just getting into guns and not enough experience and at 75 probably not enough time.
Rutgerssmith
Beginner

Post by Rutgerssmith »

Buffalo arms online makes new ammo but very pricey i think its close to 100 bucks for fifty rounds. As no one makes 32 Long Colt ammo or brass anymore they resize 32 S&W long brass down to duplicate the original cases. if you buy a box or two just to relive that experience w granddad it may be worth the price. save the brass as if you like it and decide to try reloading or find a friend who will do it for you you will be glad you have them and you can also sell them. if you look on gunbroker.com you can sometimes find 32 long or short colt ammo. you can shoot either one but the shorts may not feed smoothly thru the action. as you mentioned the gun dates to 1899 it probably does not have the magazine cartridge cut off. easy to tell if it does as there will be a screw in the middle of the left side of the receiver. to tell which firing pin you have, unscrew the large screw on the right side and you can remove the right sideplate. open the lever a little bit and you can lift the bolt out. be very carefull that the ejector does not fall out and get lost. its a thin @1 inch long piece that sits in a slot on the inside of the left receiver wall. if it does fall out its easy to put back as long as it doesnt get lost. the firing pin just sits in a slot along the top of the bolt and will lift right out.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

You may also find that .32 Long or Short Colt ammo shoots poorly in the Marlin. The correct ammo was .32 Long or Short Ballard. Same case, but different size heeled bullets. I shot a lot of .32 Long or Short Colt in my 1891 and 1892 Marlins, and some shot great, while others shot poorly. It just depended on what size bullet the ammo maker loaded in it. But I shot it up just to get the brass so I could reload it with a bullet properly sized to my bore.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!