M 27S - 25wcf

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

opschief
Beginner

M 27S - 25wcf

Post by opschief »

Good morning;
I've collected antique Winchesters since the early 1980's. I recently opted to expand my collecting focus into C&R and antique Marlins. I purchased a 27S, #127xx, in 95%+ original condition last week.

I have two issues with the firearm.
1) When the hammer is in the fully cocked position, it is my understanding the the large button on the right side of the frame serves as a release (once slid to the full rearward position) to allow the action to be opened without the need to drop the hammer. It does not.
2) The outer part of the mag tube is supposed to lock when fully opened to allow cartridges to be inserted into the tubular magazine. It does not.

The internal workings which are visible when taken down, are clean and free of any visible dirt or debris. There is zero wear apparent. I've applied a light coating of Outers gun oil to all accessible friction points in the action and mag tube assembly. I am proficient at dis and re assembling antique lever Winchesters. I must profess total ignorance with Marlins.

I'd appreciate some guidance here.

Thank you.
opschief
Beginner

Re: M 27S - 25wcf

Post by opschief »

Followup...

I was able to disassemble the mag tube assembly after removing it from the weapon.

The mag tube assembly is the most god awful complicated system anyone could have dreamt up. It which relies on the outer mag tube lips engaging beveled cuts in the inner tube. Couple that with massive spring tension and worn parts and it was a flawed deign destined to fail.

Without any actual schematics to rely on, I had my work cut out for me. Well, the bogus Marlin 92 BS video on Youtube didn’t do me any favors either. The tubes on the 92 and 27 are similar in intent, but radically different in actual design, teardown and reassembly.

Anyway I’m pleased. If the lighting this place was any worse though, I may as well have attempted this project blindfolded.

Regardless, you can disregard this question. If anyone else is faced with a like problem, I'll be happy to forward what I did to remedy it.

Still interested, though, in my concern about the action release "safety".