Engravings

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

kenmccallum1187
Beginner

Engravings

Post by kenmccallum1187 »

hello i am trying to find out information about the different kinds of engravings that were done from the period of 1881 to 1910. I have a model 92 with engravings of a squirrel on a tree branch standing on all fours with the tail in the air. I also have a model 93 with an engraving of a deer standing by the waters edge. is there any information out there that i can find to compare what engraving scheme they are? I am aware of the book a history of the guns and the company that made them by William S. Brophy. I am also looking for the book to purchase. does anybody have any information that could be useful to me?
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Engravings

Post by marlinman93 »

Not much I can tell you as to your particular engravings except it sounds like factory engraving style done by Ulrich during that time period of your guns. Would need pictures of both sides of your guns to confirm if it's factory for sure.
Marlin in the 1890's had standard engraving patterns, and eventually had a special order catalog that showed images of various engraving patterns, and checkering options. Bill Brophy's book shows these images from the special order catalog.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Ken;

The photos of the Special High Grade catalog in the Brophy book are good, but do not show all the different vignettes used by the Marlin engravers, Conrad F. Ulrich and his son, George.
There are other sources available to show some of the different vignettes. Go to our "Links" page and look for Cornell Military Publications. They reproduce many catalogs of manufacturers, including Marlin. Any catalog after 1899, up to 1915 will have the engraving styles. These reproductions are much cheaper than the original catalogs, especially if you are only seeking information.
Be advised that there are lots of fakes out there, and any engraved gun should be examined by someone that knows factory engraving upon sight. This can be determined from good photos of both sides of the receiver a portion of the barrel section just in front of the receiver.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
kenmccallum1187
Beginner

Post by kenmccallum1187 »

Great.... i do have the book. I will look into the catalogs as well. thanks for the information Guys!!! really appreciated.