manuals

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

No toes
Beginner

manuals

Post by No toes »

I am a recent "new member" and have acquired a lever gun to wit: Octagon Bbl., marked Marlin MODEL 92(on tang, behind the hammer), Ser. # 428245, underside of receiver forward of lever, last patent date March 1st, 1892. I understand it is probably a .32 Colt Cal. but is not marked as such. Are there any manuals available for such a rifle? It looks to have been fired and left uncleaned. I would like to have something to go by when I tear it down. Thank you.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: manuals

Post by marlinman93 »

No manuals available, but there are plenty of resources for old reprints of Marlin catalogs with takedown instructions in them. Another good choice is Bill Brophy's History of Marlin Firearms, which includes information for each model on takedown procedures.
Do a search for Cornell publications. They sell reprints of old gun catalogs, and have several that will cover the Model '92 Marlin. I'd buy their 1897 reprint as it covers your gun and many others.
The 1892/'92 is one of the simplest to take down and service of all early Marlins. Removing the thumb screw, and lifting the sideplate will reveal all the internal parts. They are easily removed for cleaning and oiling. Just take a picture when you remove the sideplate, and as you remove each part take another, if you're concerned you might not get the parts back in. But they are extremely simple internally.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
No toes
Beginner

Re: manuals

Post by No toes »

Thank you for the speedy reply. I will do as you suggest. No toes