.32 Standard 1875

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

leckmkos77
Beginner

.32 Standard 1875

Post by leckmkos77 »

I am new and hope I am posting correctly.

I have a gun marked 32 Standard 1875 on top of the barrel. The left side of the barrel appears to be marked J M MARLIN NEW HAVEN CT USA P JULY 1 1878. That marking is very close to 1and 5/8 inch long. The grips are hard rubber marked with a star. The serial number on barrel, cylinder, and frame is 5545.

I would appreciate any information....
1. Some things I have read indicate the patent date may be other than 1878. I have tried different lighting and magnifications and it always looks like 1878 to me. Please comment.

2. Can you determine an approximate date of manufacture?

3. What is the cylindrical object pointing forward below the barrel seen in photos of the gun? it is missing from my gun.

Thank you
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: .32 Standard 1875

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Leckmkos77;

The patent date is actually July 1, 1873. Sometimes, if the 3 is stamped to deeply, it will look like an 8. Common mistake.
The "Star" hard rubber grips are usually considered to have been first applied to the Standard revolver line around 1881 . The Standard revolver line was discontinued in 1887. With a serial number in the 5,000 range, it should place this gun sometime near the middle of these dates.
The object in question under the barrel is the ejector rod. After the gun was fired, the cylinder was removed from the frame, and then pushed backwards on the ejector rod to eject the fired cartridges from each chamber.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
leckmkos77
Beginner

Re: .32 Standard 1875

Post by leckmkos77 »

Thank you for the speedy reply! I sincerely appreciate the information.