.22 rifle information please

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

redheadednanna
Beginner

.22 rifle information please

Post by redheadednanna »

My 13 year grandson is working on his science fair project. Can anyone please tell us who is credited with the invention of the .22 rifle? Person's name or company name? Date? I'm not too knowledgeable about this stuff - just trying to help. All information will be sincerely appreciated!
Sharon
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: .22 rifle information please

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Sharon;

The company that developed the .22 caliber cartridge was the Smith & Wesson Company of Springfield, Massachusetts. Their first gun in .22 caliber was a revolver, the Model 1, First Issue in 1857. Smith & Wesson did not make long arms at that time.
As to who made the first .22 caliber rifle, I do not know, but would guess Remington as it is one of the oldest gun manufactures.

Winchester made one in the Model 1873, but it did not come out until 1884. There were lots of single shot rifles in .22 caliber prior to that. Hopefully this will get someone else to do a little digging......

Okay, after a little digging, I found that Allen Thurber & Co. ( Ethan Allen) made a single shot, drop breech rifle starting in 1860. So far, this is the earliest .22 rifle I have found.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.