Half-cock question

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Mancalledhorse
Beginner

Half-cock question

Post by Mancalledhorse »

I have a 1889 44-40 the half-cock seems to be broken but the rifle still fires. I took it to a gunsmith and he said it would not fire from the half-cock position you can pull the hammer all the way down but it will rest at the half-cock position and yet it will still fire I did not let him open up the rifle it has been in the family 60+ years it was my dad's he got it from his father in law it seems to be all original I have not taken it apart although the screw heads have screwdriver marks I was told he had the ejector repaired. He has past on and left it to mom to sell she asked me to help sell l am not familiar with kind of rifle weather I should fix it or not as far as getting best value for her I could use all the info I can get I have been reading other posts they have been very helpful. It has 24" octagon barrel the case colors are barely seen as is blueing except in crevices has turned more to a brown wood is dark barrel still has rifling. Dad took good care of it oiled it once a month like clock work SN 38xxx any info would be helpful thank you
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Half-cock question

Post by marlinman93 »

Well if you wont allow your gunsmith to take it apart, it will never get fixed. Somebody will have to take it apart to repair the halfcock notch on the hammer. At this point it either needs to be repaired, or if you sell it broken, be ready for the buyer to ding your asking price a little so he can have it fixed.
The early Marlin repeaters are pretty simple to work on, and it shouldn't be a big job to fix. Usually just a careful stoning of the halfcock notch will fix it.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Mancalledhorse
Beginner

Post by Mancalledhorse »

Thank you for your info I have no problem with fixing it it was a question of whether or not I should for value purposes I will have it fixed and should I also replace the screws that have screwdriver marks?
Brent
Sharpshooter

Post by Brent »

Personally, I would not replace the screws because the rest of the rifle has honest wear and new screws will only detract from that. It is not really a collectable, but rather a nice shooter from the sound of it. It may need a big of trimming to the halfcock notch or the trigger engagement, or both. A replacement (used) hammer might be the best solution. But it has to be dissassembled to determine the best solution.

Where are you located?
Mancalledhorse
Beginner

Post by Mancalledhorse »

I am in Oklahoma
Mancalledhorse
Beginner

Post by Mancalledhorse »

Pics of gun in for sale or trade
Brent
Sharpshooter

Post by Brent »

I wish you were in Iowa and I could take a closer look.

If you decided to buy a replacement hammer and or trigger, the parts are easily replaced by anyone and come up on ebay and gunbroker frequently. I keep a spare hammer or two around myself in case I should need to replace one quickly.

Good luck.
Brent