Newbie to group and to Marlin Lever's (HELP)

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

goincrazy
Beginner

Newbie to group and to Marlin Lever's (HELP)

Post by goincrazy »

Good day all. new to the group and looks like a bunch of great info. I am from Northern Ontario Canada, have a wife, couple kids and a bunch of guns.
Looking for some info on this Marlin I picked up, I entered the serial number on another site and it's telling me it was made in 1891, don't seem right to me so maybe someone can help?
It has "Marlin Model 93" on the top of the receiver where the stock attaches below the hammer, and the serial number is under the lever and is 519xx, no letters or anything else, on the very top of the receiver it says Marlin Safety, is this a certain model or just them saying Marlins are safe?
It's a 30.30 with a 19 1/2 inch barrel, it's in nice shape with some original bluing and plum patina, any info would be great, maybe even a dollar value.
Thanks in advance and I hope I have this post in the right spot, I am not to computer friendly or I would post pictures.... :D
With the price of ammunition, NO warning shots will be fired!!!
goincrazy
Beginner

Re: Newbie to group and to Marlin Lever's (HELP)

Post by goincrazy »

Anyone able to help? I can send pics though email if needed as I have no idea how to post them here. I should really take a computer course....LOL Thanks again.
With the price of ammunition, NO warning shots will be fired!!!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Newbie to group and to Marlin Lever's (HELP)

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Goincrazy;

You have an interesting situation. The Marlin Model '93 marking indicates this rifle was made after 1921. A couple of questions....is there a Marlin trademark "Bullseye" in the toe of the stock? And, is the barrel marked Marlin Firearms Company or Marlin Firearms Corporation?
I have never seen a five digit serial number on a Model '93. This makes me believe that the "5" in your serial number is actually a letter prefix and not a digit. Best to remove the butt stock and look at the serial number stamped on the side of the receiver tang to be sure.
There is a post in the "No Longer Guest Questions" section labeled "Old Marlin in New Zealand". Find it and scroll down to a post by Road King and there are excellent instructions on how to post pictures.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.