How old is my Mod. 94 in .44-40

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Alaska44-40
Beginner

How old is my Mod. 94 in .44-40

Post by Alaska44-40 »

I have a Marlin Model 94 that I am trying to find information as to when it was made so that I can better know what type of reloading data I should be looking for. Also I would just like to know more about the rifle in general.

-"Marlin Model 94" with the 6 point star proof stamp on the tang.
-On the bottom of the receiver between the S/N and the lever is a notch where I believe a sling mount was ground off.
-The rifle measures 41.25" oal and has a 24" octagon barrel chambered in .44-40 or .44wcf.
-The loop on the lever is rounded there is no point for any sort of safety latch to hook on to.
-It has an "S" shaped butt plate which has a different S/N than the rest of the rifle.
-There are four Serial Numbers located: 1) on the under side of the butt plate, 2) on the top of the stock under neath the receiver tang, 3) on the left side of the tang just behind the hammer slot, 4) on the forward underside of the receiver.
-The front sight is a "Rocky Mountain with a German Silver Blade".
-The main spring is one solid flat piece.
-The tang has two accessory screws to mount a sight to.
-The top of the receiver is tapped with two holes to mount a sight or scope to.

This is from what I have found out all the relative information that people need to help with identifying a rifle. Any help that anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: How old is my Mod. 94 in .44-40

Post by marlinman93 »

You left out the barrel rollstamp info, but it sounds like probably around 1923 or so. It is a musket receiver reworked to sporting rifle and sold at a discount back then because of the remaining notch left in the trigger plate. The serial number on the trigger plate is usually larger in height than other numbers, and also often 3-4 digits.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Alaska44-40
Beginner

Re: How old is my Mod. 94 in .44-40

Post by Alaska44-40 »

In front of the receiver is marked "44 40" and then the
"Marlin Fire-Arms CO New-Haven. CT, U.S.A.
Patented Oct 11, 1887, April 2, 1889, August 1, 1893" on the ends of the patent are up and down star burst