1889 Marlin 22" barrel

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: 1889 Marlin 22" barrel

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

44-40Man and Brian;

We already know of this site and have for over a year. Sorry, but I deleted the information to it as these records as we do not want to give them any help finding them. These records are from a pirated set of records that were copied then sold at least two different times that we know of.

The Association was granted the copy of the factory records on the condition we only confirm the information listed in the factory records and not charge for it. The Association cannot write "factory" letters, only confirm the information in the records. Any money to be made from the Marlin Factory Records was to go the Cody Firearms Museum and no one else.
The Association does not charge members for access to the factory records, so this was to be a benefit to members to join the Association, thereby benefiting the Association to gain new members.

We feel that this individual selling information is stealing money from the Cody Firearms Museum since the original intent was for the Marlin records to benefit the museum and not an individual. It is a real shame that this person(s) put themselves ahead of the rest of the collecting world and steal money from the museum that benefits everyone interested in the collecting of all type of firearms, not just Marlins.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

I am surprised that Cody hasn't tried to put a stop to this group. I notice that they are only advertising Marlin Records I wonder if that they have gained assess to the Big W records. I will edit my previous post to take out the site address.
Road King
" More guns then I need, but not as many as I want."
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Brian;

They have advertised in a national magazine, and we attempted to get the magazine to drop the ads, but now that there are "extra" copies of the records out there, there is no copyright involved, and they cannot be stopped. We tried to explain how Cody was to have all rights to any money gained from access to the records, per the Marlin Company, to no avail.
Funny how on the website they say it is against Federal Law to distribute any copies. Anyone can copy them from the website and distribute them anyway they want as the website does not have a copyright either. They think they have exclusive rights, which they do not. Our only hope is that is that the website does not turn a profit and goes broke from lack a of participation.
We strongly urge those that want factory letters to get them from the Cody Firearms Museum and support the museum in it's work for collectors.

44-40man
Beginner

Post by 44-40man »

Rick, GUNSINTERNATIONAL#:100784887 shows an 1889 Marlin stamped 38-40 instead of 38W. Do you have any info on this rifle? thanks
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Don;

I looked at that particular Model 1889. Lots of problems!!! First off, the gun is refinished, totally. Second, the barrel is marked Special Smokeless Steel with August 1, 1893 patent date. That barrel is from a Model 1893 that was shortened and re-chambered to .38-40, probably from a .38-55 caliber gun. Nearly every gun this guy is offering is refinished and a rip off as he states that they are original finish.
The only Model 1889's that will have the August 1, 1893 patent date are the very few, deluxe Model 1889's that were chambered for the .25-20 cartridge. Those Model 1889's have Model 1894 barrels and were made before Marlin made any deluxe Model 1894's. So, if someone wanted any deluxe rifle at that time, they got a Model 1889. That is why there are a very few deluxe 1889's in .25-20 caliber.
Look at Guns International items 100794211 and 100786109. Both are Model 1889's in .38-40 caliber, and they both are marked 38 W on top of the barrel, just in front of the receiver, as they should be.
I hope this helps.