Marlin XXX Standard 1872 engraved pistol

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

chp5
Beginner

Marlin XXX Standard 1872 engraved pistol

Post by chp5 »

Hi. My first post here :D I inherited my grandmother's Marlin XXX Standard 1872 engraved pistol. I believe it's .30 rimfire but I'm not 100% sure.

The pics tell the condition story. The barrel lock up has some wobble to it and I would not fire this pistol. I'm looking to sell it but I don't have any good idea of the worth. There are some very expensive similar models for sale on Gunbroker. I'm not trying to get top dollar, I just don't want to be a sucker.

I plan to invest the proceeds into a modern pistol that I can shoot the *beep* out of. My grandmother would approve! Thanks for you thoughts.

Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin XXX Standard 1872 engraved pistol

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

CHP5;

If your Marlin pistol is marked XXX Standard 1872, then it is certainly a .30 rim-fire caliber. There were two different cylinder lengths for the XXX Standard, a long cylinder (which is about .990 inches in length) for .30 Long cartridges (you could use Short cartridges also) and a short cylinder (about .880 inch long) for the .30 Short cartridge. There were 3 different serial number series utilized in the XXX Standard revolvers.
Would need to see photos of your gun to determine if the engraving is factory applied, what type of grips are on it, and the overall condition in order to give you an estimate of value. The prices you see being asked on Gun Broker do not always reflect the going price. You have to see what something actually sells for to get a better idea.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
chp5
Beginner

Post by chp5 »

Thank you for the reply.

There are pics in my first post. Are they visable? Thx.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

CHP5;

The pictures did not show up last night when I approved the post and responded.
Nice, early gun. It is a .30 Short, XXX Standard of 1872. I say early because it has some of the early features of an engraved XXX Standard. That style engraving is found only on the early guns. Also, the checkered trigger is also only found on early guns.
The mother of pearl grips are a plus as well. The overall condition is not bad, but there is quite a bit of loss to the nickel plating on the frame around the grip area. Some pitting on the barrel and some bubbling on front of cylinder affect overall value.
That said, I would put the value in the $850.00 to $950.00 range for an early, engraved gun. If someone offers more, then that would be great.
That said, I do not have an early, engraved gun with mother of pearl grips. I have one with ivory grips ( serial number 2 ) and one with the standard rosewood grips, and would be interested in having one with mother of pearl to go along with them. Looks like the serial number is 4485, is that correct? I do have an interest in your mother's gun.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
chp5
Beginner

Post by chp5 »

The serial # is indeed 4435. I sent you a PM. Thanks.