1881 38-55, parts and disassemble instructions?

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

rodent
Beginner

1881 38-55, parts and disassemble instructions?

Post by rodent »

I have inherited a Marlin 1881, chambered in .38-55, S/N 16379, and it needs a cleaning. I've seen disassembling instructions on ebay, but does anyone know of one of these documents posted online? Also the Finger Lever Latch Spring is broken, does anyone know where I can get parts? I've found this part on Wisner's, but wonder about other sources.

She's not the prettiest girl at the prom, but it's all there, all stock, all S/N's match (so far, have yet to take the frame all the way down), and I'm hoping to get it in shooting condition soon.

What are other people shooting in this old of a gun? I've found fps specs on different brands of ammo from 1010 to 1700.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: 1881 38-55, parts and disassemble instructions?

Post by marlinman93 »

Well if Wisner's has the part, I wouldn't look any further myself. I've had great success with their parts.
As for ammo, I only shoot cast bullets and my light loads around 1200-1300 fps. I don't shoot any factory ammo, and never any jacketed bullets.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
rodent
Beginner

Post by rodent »

Thanks for the vote of confidence for Wisners. The finger lever spring came came in one or two days from across the country, and fits/works perfectly. With the exception of a crack in the fore stock that needs repair, my 1881 is fully cleaned, reassembled, and ready to shoot.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Bet that crack is right in line with the loading gate spring/guide rod! Very common place to crack. I mix up clear epoxy and brush it on the inside of that area to stabilize the wood, and keep the crack from opening up and getting worse.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!