WTK Marlin M39 date of MFG

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

danco101
Beginner

WTK Marlin M39 date of MFG

Post by danco101 »

I have a marling M39 octagon barrel 22 rifle with "S' pistol grip and case hardened receiver, serial number is 82XX, When was it made?

Also I have a Model 27S in 25-20 serial number is on the receiver inside is #472, no exterior number, is this correct, Rifle has octagon barrel and looks to be all original. were they all serialized on the outside?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: WTK Marlin M39 date of MFG

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Danco101;

The Model 39 without either an "S" or "HS" serial number prefix would have been made sometime between 1921 and 1925. Your serial number, in the 8,200 range is about 2/3's of the way through that period, so we can only estimate a date as there are no records for that period of the manufacturing era. This would put your gun in the late 1923 or early 1924 era.

As to the serial number on your Model 27-S, that is typical of the pump action Marlin rifles. There were a few models that had the serial number stamped on the outside, but not all. When someone asks about nonvisible serial numbers, I usually recommend removing the metal butt plate as the butt plate is numbered to the gun. If the pump rifle has a hard rubber butt plate, then the stock must be removed to find the serial number if not stamped on the outside.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.