Marlin Rifle Engraving authenticity

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

palabra
Pro-Marksman

Marlin Rifle Engraving authenticity

Post by palabra »

I have a question on engraving. I understood that the receivers on Marlin rifles were engraved in the 'white' then either case colored or blued. If so, then the engraving would always carry the case or bluing color in its relief. I have seen recently some blued deluxe Marlins that the engraving is white against the blue background. Did Marlin engrave in the white, and, is this a tell tale sign of an aftermarket engraving? Thanks,
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin Rifle Engraving authenticity

Post by marlinman93 »

Old Marlins from 1800's and early 1900's were done as you described. Later special runs seem to have been engraved after the receivers were blued. There's a good chance if your older Marlin is bare in the engraving cuts that it's either not factory, or has had the engraving re-cut.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
palabra
Pro-Marksman

Post by palabra »

Thx Marlinman. I have heard that after a receiver is case colored (treated) that you really can't engrave it, it is just too hard. Seems logical. The receivers I have recently questioned were blued receivers.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Although it's true that receivers were always engraved before casehardening, and also true that engraving on cased receivers is very hard on tools! It certainly can be done. Most good engravers value their time and tools too highly to even mess with it. But I've got a couple guns I had engraved, that were old cased receivers, and were engraved without annealing them first. I just had to locate an engraver who said he could do it without a problem.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!