1898 12 ga pump

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

ralphracer07
Beginner

1898 12 ga pump

Post by ralphracer07 »

I have a 12 ga. pump i bought at a auction several months ago. Discovered that the firing pin was broken. The only writings on the gun are: On the leftside of barrel it reads " Special Smokeless Steel" 12ga.: On the butt of the gun it reads National. Then it has a serial # 130870. That's all the writings that's on the gun. The way i found out that it is a Marlin is from the gunsmith that repaired the firing pin. He told me that it was a 1898 model and that's all i know about it. I'm trying to fine out more about the gun. Any ideas? Thank you,Ralph
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: 1898 12 ga pump

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Ralph;

That high a serial number should put it out of the Model 1898 production range. To identify the model you have, we need some answers to a few questions.

1. Straight grip or pistol grip?
2. Takedown or solid frame?
3. If a takedown, what type of magazine tube release system...pinch lever at end of tube or is there a button, then pull & twist?
4. Hang fire safety release up on right side of receiver, near hammer or is it down next to the trigger?
5. Any patent dates on the barrel?

National used a couple of different models of Marlin shotguns for their guns. Many look similar to each other, but there are differences.
Looking forward to your reply.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.