Marlin Derringer frame

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

NomadRT
Beginner

Marlin Derringer frame

Post by NomadRT »

Hello everyone! I found this brass gun frame while metal detecting in Alabama. It was tentatively identified as a Marlin derringer frame through metal detecting groups on facebook. I just got in touch with the NRA museum and sent pictures to them. They responded that their firearm expert thinks it's a Marlin 'Baby 22' model.

Can anyone verify that I have a Marlin Baby 22 frame? The serial number on the frame reads 1575. Is there any hope of finding out additional information using this serial number? The property I found it on in Alabama was near where a Union raid came through, so I'm scrounging for any clues I can discover.

Thanks in advance for any information you can help me with!

Because of the size limitations of the pictures here, please follow this link to see a picture of the frame: (let me know if the link doesn't work)

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39 ... 060654.jpg
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin Derringer frame

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

NomadRT;

The proper nomenclature for the first production Marlin derringer is the "Marlin Vest Pocket" derringer. John Marlin never called this a "baby .22" as some authors tend to use for a description.
What you have found certainly does resemble the Marlin Vest Pocket derringer, but there is another single shot derringer that very closely resembles the Marlin Vest Pocket, and is sometimes mistaken for the Marlin. It would take a "hands on" examination with a known Marlin Vest Pocket alongside to be sure. The Marlin derringer would have the Marlin marking on the barrel, which is missing from your piece and that would certainly help if it were there. There is one for sale on Gun Broker, and you can compare the two. The one on GB is marked and does resemble your frame.
The lookalike derringer is not marked with a makers name, but some attribute it Ethan Allen.
There are no records for any handguns made by John Marlin starting in 1863 and ending in 1899. So, there is no way of knowing if this derringer was sold "up north" to some Yankee that carried it south in the War of Northern Aggression.
Marlin made the Vest Pocket up to about 1881, as we know of advertising of it as late as 1876. Total number produces has been estimated at about 5,000, which seems to be fairly accurate. All Marlin derringers were serial numbered in the same sequence from beginning to end of production. Overall, Marlin produced over 17,000 of his little single shot derringers in various models and calibers.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
NomadRT
Beginner

Post by NomadRT »

Thanks for the information!

Does the positioning of the serial number provide any clues to the model or make of the gun? If you look at the photo I linked, you will see that the serial number 1575 is stamped in a place that would have been covered up by the wood handles. I've seen other models that had the serial number stamped on the underside where it would have been visible even with the grips on.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

NomadRT;

I looked at one of my Vest Pocket derringers, and the serial number is not on the underside of the frame at the bottom of the grip area, but on the side of the frame, under the grips like the piece you found.
Off hand, without any further examination, I would have to say this is a Marlin Vest Pocket frame.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.