New to Association

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

motor33
Beginner

New to Association

Post by motor33 »

I own several Marlins, the first was a 444 bought in the early 70's. Also a 27S in 32W, 1892, 1888 in 32W, 1894 in 38W, 39D, 25MB and 917VR. My question is on the 1892....serial # 135108, 28 inch bbl, half octagon, half round, mag is full length 24 inches, checkered butt stock, fore arm not checkered. All are shooters, except for the 1892, still looking for ammo. Not into collecting, just like the senior firearms. On the 92, is there any way to find out how it left the factory, if it is still in original condition. On the 88, have not shot it yet, when manipulating the lever, it sometimes will not function without first pushing in the loading gate just a little, 1/16 to 1/8 inch. I have tried tightening the gate retaining screw but it does not want to get any tighter, or looser. Any suggestions????

Thx.......
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: New to Association

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Motor33;

Are you sure about that serial number on the Model 1892? Looking at the old factory records, serial number 135108 shows as a 24 inch octagon barrel, whereas serial number 135103 shows as a 28 inch half octagon barrel, like your gun. Sometimes, if a 3 is stamped to deeply on the curved, bottom of the receiver, it may appear as an 8. Best thing to do is remove the butt stock and check the numbers on the stock or the butt plate if it has a metal butt plate.
Not quite sure what to tell you about the Model 1888. Maybe just needs to be taken apart and given a good cleaning, and look for any missing or broken springs. Look at a parts diagram to see if everything is there. There is one on page 165 of Brophy's Marlin book.
Looking forward to your reply...
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
motor33
Beginner

Post by motor33 »

You were right, should be a 3 not 8. Were checkered butt stocks common? The checkering looks well worn and measures about 24 lpi. Will use toothbrush to try and clean up the checkering, lot of sweat/grime accumulation over the years.
Took the 1897 to the range today, hitting 1/2 inch high at 25 yards, 5 shots easily covered by a nickle. Guess I need a new ejector as the shells are just barely making it out the ejection port and falling to my feet.
Took the 1888 and the 94 out also. 94 shooting dead on at 25 yds,throwing the shells slightly forward and about 2 feet forward of my position. The 1888 had a feeding problem, may have been my fault, took about 15 minutes to clear the magazine tube. One round was wedged slightly to the left, halfway out the mag tube and caught on the carrier. :oops:
Any one of the guns was older than any two of the people on the range. They were surprised that they shot at all, a couple had never even heard of a 38-40. Wait til I get the 32 Colt ammo for the 1892
On looking at the records for the 1892 did it say when, where, and to whom the rifle was shipped???

Thx again.............
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Motor33;

Your Marlin Model '92 information is as follows:

1892 .32 Colt caliber 28 inch half octagon barrel Pistol Grip Stock Shipped: early 1902

You mentioned the butt stock was checked, but not the forearm, that is not common, as when one was checked, so was the other. It may be the forearm is so worn you cannot see the checking, or it was replaced at some point.

The old factory records do not reflect where any guns were shipped or who ordered them, merely a ship date, which is not necessarily the manufacture date. Guns did sit in the warehouse for a while, and in some cases for more than a year.
If you have having the feeding problems in your 1888 as described, it needs to be taken apart and cleaned. Especially, take a brush and run it into the magazine tube and clean the mag tube spring.
In shooting our 1897, be sure not to use modern, high speed ammunition in it. Use only standard velocity or target ammunition as using high speed stuff can lead to a cracked breech bolt.

motor33
Beginner

Post by motor33 »

Thx for the info on the 1892. Took the 97 out yesterday and 3 jacks in less than 2 hours. Live in AZ, about 70% of state is Federal, State or Tribal property. Most allow hunting on the property so never very far from a shooting opportunity. Tried some dummy rounds thru the 88. Ammo got stuck again, Lever only opens about an inch. May have to try and take the lower tang off with lever in tact, any ideas if that is feasible. Don't see any other way of getting inside thx
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Motor33;

To quote the 1888 Marlin catalog in regards to "Dismount the Arm":

"Take out the tang screw, remove the stock, and swing the Main Spring to one side where it presses on the hammer; then take out the Hammer Screw; this will allow the Hammer to come out. Next take out the Lever Screw and remove the Lever. Then take out the screw at the end of the Trigger Plate that holds it to the receiver; this will allow the Trigger Plate and Locking Bolt to taken out; the Breech Bolt can then be slid out. By removing the screw that holds the Carrier Block, the latter can also be taken out."
To reassemble, the parts are replaced in the reverse order.
I would certainly consider removing the magazine tube and spring and running a brush down through it. A dirty magazine tube can lead to feeding problems if things are hanging up inside the tube. You also need to check the carrier function to see that it is moving up and down properly with the movement of the lever. It may be possible that it is hanging up and not falling all the way down and lining up with the magazine tube after the action is worked.
Good luck......

motor33
Beginner

Post by motor33 »

OK, following your directions got the ammo out. Reassembled, loaded 1 dummy round and the same thing happened. Tore everything down again, seems to me that looking at position of the 'trapped round', at the muzzle end of the carrier, that the round is not being expelled from the magazine fast enough while attempting to cycle the lever. The spring tension does not seem very strong at the carrier end. Could it be that the spring needs to be replaced after only 125 years, give or take? The carrier is also scratched up something terrible, so it looks like this has been an ongoing problem for awhile. I read somewhere that a carrier from an 1889 or 1894 should work in this model. Looking on the Numrich gun parts schematics they do not appear to be interchangeable.

My next step will be taking the mag spring out, does the entire mag tube have to come out or just unscrew the screw in the tube at the muzzle end making sure to have a finger over the end cap?

Should I be posting in another forum or another thread?

Thx for all the help so far