Marlin Model 94

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

kingzilla1
Beginner

Marlin Model 94

Post by kingzilla1 »

My nephew has a lever action rifle with the following information: 22" octagon barrel, crescent butt, 25-20M: Top of barrel marked Marlin Firearms,
Oct 1,1887, April 2, 1889, Aug 1,1893 with a sunburst symbol at the beginning and end of the dates, a star symbol on the tang, a number "D8949" stamped on the forward part of the receiver. I think my father purchased it new, he was born in 1909 and was a hunter and belonged to some gun clubs in his young years. Looking for the approximate date of manufacture and any other info on this. Best I have found is that it may have been produced from 1919 to 1920 by Marlin-Rockwell before it became Marlin Firearms Corporation in 1921? Would appreciate any input from members. Thanks.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin Model 94

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Kingzilla 1;

You are correct on date of manufacture and who made it. The 22 inch barrel length is a bit odd as most standard barrel lengths for rifles was 24 inches and carbines were 20 inches. Unfortunately there are no records available to check and confirm the configuration as it is.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
kingzilla1
Beginner

Post by kingzilla1 »

Thanks for the info so soon! I'll have my Nephew double check the barrel measurement.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

My guess would also be that because of the manufacture date, and your father's birthdate, he probably bought it used, and not new when he was 12 years old.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!