model 1893 Marlin 32-40

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Beetle
Beginner

model 1893 Marlin 32-40

Post by Beetle »

I have had a model 1893 Marlin 32-40 for over 60 years, serial # 349438, 26" octagon barrel with use black power on top, it has three MFC. dates Oct11,1887,April2,1889, August 1,1893. My question is the last date when this rifle was made? It is in very good condition, wood is perfect. I traded my Lionel Train for this rifle when I was a kid so I could use it for deer hunting. Beetle
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: model 1893 Marlin 32-40

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Beetle;

Unfortunately, the record for that serial number is blank. There are some numbers with information in the area, and the shipping date for those are in the 1906 range.
The Model 1893 was made from 1893 to about 1919/1920 when the model marking was changed to Marlin Model '93. The Model '93 was then made from about 1921 to 1935 when the model was replaced by the Model 36.
Your gun is referred to a "B" Grade gun. Marlin started making the "B" Grade gun in 1905. The "B" Grade guns were made to use black powder that produce lower pressures and used a softer steel barrel than the Special Smokeless Steel barrels that used smokeless powder and produced higher pressures. Smokeless powder can be used in the "B" Grade guns, but so as not to wear out the softer steel rifling, lead bullets only should be used. No jacketed ammunition!
The "B" Grade guns sold for less money than the Special Smokeless Steel barrel guns to give customers the option as to how much they wanted to spend. It also allowed Marlin to use up the supply of soft steel barrels they had on hand when smokeless powder came along.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.